Excessive Noise

I am 3D printing and my extruder sounds like it has a good rattle. This is not a stepper motor noise. Any ideas or should I just take it apart.

I don’t want to void the warranty but it seems like in other topics there has been little response to issues that might require warranty service.

When the machine runs in circle, there will be some vibration noise as you have seen. According to our test, the noise will be noticeable when the speed of Y-axis is from 200-800 mm/min. The entire working platform amplifies noise like a speaker, which is not avoidable since our machine is made of metal.

But, no matter what the speed of the Y-axes is, the component speed in the Y direction will appear in the above range.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and we are working on the silent module now.

Here is a video for your reference.
print in curve
print in lines

If the problem remains, please make a video and contact support@snapmaker.com for help.

@Edwin, do you work Snapmaker? If so, can you provide more details on your work to make a silent module. When is it expect to be available? Will owners be able to upgrade their linear modules or will they need to be replaced. Either way, it seems a bit odd that we woud have to pay to upgrade our machines a meer month after recieving them because noise levels are so excessive. I have owned 4 previous 3d printers and this is is by far the loudest. I measured the noise about 10 feet away and the noise levels average 65 decibles and peak at 72 decibles. These levels are higher that what we were lead to expect in all of the communications leading up to this point.

Also, you post above really does not tell me anything other than showming me that X and Y velocities will vary as the printer draws a circle at a constant rate. How is that supposed to help me understand what is making my machine so loud. These are very common speeds. Why is the y axis the focus of your comment. Is the y axis lowder than the X axis? Why? This is not my experience. THe X-Axis seems to be much louder. Additionally, if you read my first comment, the noise I am hearing is not stepper motor noise, it is a rattling and it is in the x-axis or in the extruder. I don’t think your reply addresses this issue.

Thanks.

Hey @michaelelandry may you make a video about your issue, pls?
You could it upload to any oneclick hoster or googledrive, dropbox, etc.
This also would help the community to face issues.
Thanks!

Thanks for the input you all sent. I decided to take the extruder apart and make sure everythign was tight. I jsut started it up and the rattle I was hearing is gone. I am not sure exactly which part was loose but it is not anymore.

In general, the SnapMaker 2.0 A350 is about 8 decibles louder that thank my Prusa MK3S printers. I can run my Prusa printers all night and my girl does not even notice. I am afraid I will need to pause the Snapmaker prints at night though. The printers are a couple of rooms away with the doors closed.

I did order the encloseure. Hopefully that will help.

I built my own enclosure and reduced the noise level by 15Db average. An enclosure of any kind will help massively. Other than that the power supply fan is the next noisiest part.

The enclosure will reduce the noise level to some extent. But I’ve seen people posting under the Showcase category saying that they’ve made their Originals super quiet by doing some modifications.

I’m also finding the SM2 to be excessively loud. I have taken it apart again for the 3rd time, and I’m testing now… but it vibrates like crazy every time it makes an angle (engages both x and y motors) or cuve. And it vibrates unbelievably on the first layer when printing things with broad bottoms (like a box). Not so much on the outline, but when printing the bottom layer.

No joke, it sounds like a jigsaw cutting plywood. The device is extremely loud by nature… something I find to be greatly disappointing – but this vibrating just sounds like junk… it sounds awful, and has to be affecting the print quality (which has not been really stellar, to be honest).

I’ll see if it improves after my last rebuild… but I’m not going to hold my breath. I’ll post something if it doesn’t. The weird thing is that I’m having a heck of a time isolating where that noise is coming from. I put my hand on the bed, under the bed, on the platform, the print head… nothing seems to dampen it. I put the printer on the floor, I tried it with and without eva foam… nothing helps reduce the vibrating noise.

mg

I am also pretty disappointed at the noise level of the Snapmaker 2.0 both from the motors themselves and the fans, those who have some experience tinkering with 3D printers knows a major contributing factor to this is cheap stepper motor drivers and cheap fans. So far I can see no means to upgrade these being facilitated by Snapmaker leaving owners with little choice but to void their warranty and start hacking the printer to meet their needs. Its disappointing to see little consideration given to noise in what is pitched as a premium product and Snapmaker doesn’t seem to be too bothered about actively engaging their customers on how to improve on this as I am sure its an issue for many of their customers its just a question of how important it is to them.

3 Likes

Hi, the silent linear module is still on our roadmap, and we will discuss the details internally when the time comes. Thank you for your feedback and we have make a note on that.

OK. It took me a little while, but here is the attachment to give you a sense of what I’m talking about. Is this normal? I mean it is so loud I just want scream… I cannot run it anywhere in the house, and I have 2200 square feet plus a basement. If I brought this onto the shop floor or data center at work, you would hear it roaring above just about every other piece of machinery we have. It is so loud, it is unusable. I cannot have this thing blairing away in my house for 5-6 days on long prints, 24x7. I’d never sleep.

Note that I’m not just talking about the fan noise (which super loud), I’m talking about the vibration noise. It is very prominent whenever the nozzle is extruding, and the X&Y axes are running at reduced speeds (like an outer wall, or the entire first layer). It does not make this noise when making travel movements.

So sit, back, grab a brew, and enjoy the sounds of snapmaker, and tell me if you experience the same thing…

2 Likes

holy thats not normal

Yeah, that’s not normal. The power supply should be the loudest and that’s the steppers.

Yep that is a lot louder than mine. What is the printer sitting on? I have never run mine without it sitting on a 1/2" rubber mat so I’m not sure what it would sound like without it.

Currently is is on a 3/4 thick EVA foam mat. Like I said though, I’ve changed it up… even putting it on the floor… it only gets louder from here…

not normal… i am now thinking about to grease the metal strips a bit to not making this clinking noise.
Your machine has a problem.

I just found this:

I’ve done most of it, but not the last portion… I’m going to give it a shot tomorrow, and I’ll post back…

Thank you all for the feedback. Knowing this is not normal helps.

Sorry for the late reply. Here is Edwin from Snapmaker Team.

As for the noise, we do think that it is from the Y-axes.

Please dismantle the print sheet and platform from the Y axes.

Control the linear module via the touchscreen and check if the noise remains.

Please connect the machine with a computer with the provided USB cable and open the console Snapmaker Luban.

Enter the command “G0 F3000 Y100”, which commands the Y-axes to move 100mm.

Please check if the noise continues and send me a video of it.

Enter the command “G0 F415 Y100” to test for low-frequency resonances.

JKC20, thanks. I have made some improvements in the noise by taking apart the extruder and reassembling. I am not sure what I changed but it is quieter now. However, I am still having some excessive noise issues. I’ve looked at the related posts on this thread and my noise is still much louder than the videos theat SM has posted as normal.

Can you point me to specific modifications that you are refering to so that I do not need to search and evaluate each modificaiton on my own?

Can SM post a guide to deal with noise issues on their brand new printers? The short guide already posted is no sufficient, compprehensive and the instructions and pictures are poor.

Thanks,

Michael