Dual Extruder - Mesh Painting on Luban Not Generating Proper G Code

I have a single STL file that I am trying to use the Dual Extruder on to be able to have the background filament color (black) and the accent filament color (white). After using the Mesh Painting feature on Luban and clicking Generate G Code, the preview (and the printed part) change from what the original STL file was. In this case, the wings and logo loose the detail and just become solid. What am I missing?

Is there a way to specify at a certain layer height that I want the L vs R extruder?

Thanks for your help!

Not what I was going for:

I think it’s probably just Luban being Luban. This topic might be relevant: Luban 4.8.0 generates a layer where there shouldn't be one

Thank you - I will look through that post!

I did change the wall thickness as mentioned in the other post, but still no change:

You could try using another slicer like Cura for example. Or you could upload the stl and I will take a look…

Here is the .stl file:

Phillips 66 Aviation Trusted Wings w Holes.stl (4.2 MB)

It seems Lubans mesh painting feature is not very reliable. A more reliable way to do it would be to seperate the letters from the backround before exporting to stl (like aviation 1, 2 and 3.stl) and then use the align function.

aviation1.stl (3.6 MB)
aviation1.1.stl (7.8 MB)
aviation2.stl (4.0 MB)
aviation3.stl (1.8 MB)
Snapmaker_Luban_ZatLSCv6Qp

2 Likes

I gotta drop everything and go learn blender

1 Like

@Rwide,

That seemed to do the trick! I will put this in the queue to print and see how it turns out!

How did you take a .stl file and split it the way you did into the individual pieces? That is great and super useful!

Microsoft 3D Builder can be used to modify / cut stl files in different parts.
Very easy to use and free.

I used Blender. Did a few boolean operations and a little editing in wireframe mode. In this particular situation, a simple split would not have worked because the backround height inside the wings is not the same as the rest of the backround… So use the aviation 1.1.stl if you want to stay true to the original :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Jade commented in FB group under post with similar issue - confirmed this will be fixed in Luban 4.8.2 :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help - the print worked!

2 Likes

No problem! :slightly_smiling_face: