Luban V4.8.0-alpha.3 Is Available - Adding Mesh Painting and Dual Color Models in Case Library

Hi Snapmaker 2.0/Artisan/J1 owners,

Luban V4.8.0 is going to add more features for dual extrusion and IDEX printing. The alpha version is available on Github now! Welcome early adopters to try out the new features and share feedback with us.

Important Note:

Please note that there are some known issues in the alpha version. We don’t recommend that major users update to this version until the official V4.8 version is released.

Available Systems: Since this is a functional alpha/beta version, it is currently only available for Windows and macOS systems.

Download

Brief Introduction

Mesh Painting

Smart Fill

Depending on the angle of the triangles in the clicked area, select triangles with a range of angular tolerances around the connection.

Brush

Triangles are selected based on the triangles and angular tolerances that the spherical brushes come in contact with. Smaller angle tolerances detect sharp borders, allowing the brush to paint only the area within the edge. The opposite is true for larger angles, where a 90° tolerance allows the brush to recede to select all triangles touched by all spherical brushes.

Dual Color Models

Known Issues

1. Both tools can have good determination for sharp boundaries, such as hard surface type models. But for the identification of rounded boundaries is not particularly applicable.

2. Tolerances do not work well with some fine triangular pieces and need to be cleaned up with a brush.

3. The Prime Tower cannot be generated automatically. You will need to import one extra model and assign a different extruder to this model in order to triger the Prime Tower generating. You can adjust the size of this extra model to a small model since it will be printed out as well.

4. When going to the Workspace, it gets stuck at a “select mode” window. Neither cancel nor the start button do anything. In this condition, you will need to close the whole program.
    Temporary solution:

• Go to Window - Toggle Developer Tools in Luban.
  • Open Elements window. Delete the line shown as below.

2 Likes

It is time to make a distinction between the simple and complex version of Luban. May be a button?

Hi i just make the upgrade to 4.8 and i have 1 major issu and 1 little.

The major issue is when i go to the workspace i have the message for laser tickness material and it s block me si i can t connect the snap.

The little issu is allready know with the brim tower

Getting same error when trying to 3d print. Heading over to workspace i get the enter material thickness error for the laser even when 3d printing. You cannot move past error!

Allready made an issue on github as well.
It would be nice that you can rotate a model when colouring it. perhaps with the middle mousebutton clicked.
A undo button in the same box as the colour and brush screen, so you can undo a colouring action or mis click

1 Like

@Marc68 @scottofazphx Sorry about this temporary inconvenience. The material thickness popup error in the Workspace is a known issue. It will be fixed in the official release.

Here are some questions and answers for the V4.8.0 alpha version. Collected from the community.

1. Is there a split an object into parts, then select the colors/extruder option?

Yes. This feature is under development. Luban will support splitting one model into multiple mesh parts.

2. When blending two models, is there a way for one of the models to float in mid air?

This is a nice feature! However, it’s not available in the V4.8.0 alpha version. It’s under development. It might come out in the official version of V4.8.0 or a later version.

3. Just one other setting for the dual move object in 3 directions because some files the height is not good and Luban can’t adjust that.

When importing two STLs, you can try using the Align function in Luban, which is also called Merge in other slicers. Learn more here: Dual Material Slicing Quick Guide | Snapmaker Wiki It helps to automatically align the models in XYZ directions. If you are looking for a function to hang the model in the air, this feature is under development. Luban will support moving models and hang them in the Z direction soon. But the V4.8.0 might not include this feature. It might come out in the next version later than V4.8.0.

4. Is this just for mesh models, or for any 3D print object pulled into Luban?

Any models that can be imported into Luban successfully.

5. Will there be a “stamp” tool like in the canvas 3d for palette pro?

Not in a recent plan.

6. Does this mean we won’t have to import two separate models and superimpose them to get dual-nozzle prints?

For some models, the answer is yes. However, it cannot work for all models. There are some limitations at the moment. The mesh painting tools can have good determination for sharp boundaries, such as hard surface type models. But for the identification of rounded boundaries, it is not exceptionally applicable. Here are two examples for reference.

7. Will the official release automatically generate the prime tower?

Yes.

8. When exporting a model to workspace it gets stuck at a “select mode” window asking me to select material thickness. Neither cancel nor the start button do anything. I have to close the whole program.

Sorry for this temporary inconvenience. The material thickness popup error in the Workspace is a known issue. It will be fixed in the official release.

1 Like

@Jade Thank you for the updates, its exciting to see the development.

@Jade i have other bug

When i paint it s fill all the hole when generate the gcode. I try a other print but it s not dual color print i think the part of the other color was to low and the print was a succes but only 1 color not 2

Change the Line Type for preview?