Dual extruder calibration example

i am probably wrong but i get the impression that the white filament (rhs) is being printed at a higher z height… maybe its the filament itself.

the black (lhs) seems to be better but the “calibration check” does not always produce stable prints.

i also note that during printing the touchscreen reports that the target temperature is 200 degress for black and 150 degrees for white

ps apologies black on black photo does nt come out too good

Both z offsets should be reduced. White much more than black.
I read something similar on facebook group. My auto levelling worked very great with Just adjusting -0,05.
You can customize the settings within swiping Touchscreen from right side to adjust z offset and temperature to desired values.

thanks…

i had assumed that "auto Z calibrating " (page35) would have been better

ps it seems that 150 degrees is an interim temperature to save some time in heating up rhs

After The Dual module calibration, I get this results. Crazy layer shifts.

Hope for a solution.

I encountered the same problem, the layers shift as they move upward. Waiting for a solution. I have Firmware version1.15.13 20230203. It appeared as an update Feb 6th on the touchscreen. I can’t find it on any website.

1 Like

Having the same issue. Installed dual extrusion print head yesterday. After calibration, snapmaker stl that I sliced in Luban is getting the same layer shift issue you reported. (Updated to the latest firmware available via wifi from the unit.)

1 Like

Finished a perfect adjustment all 4 corners brake away easily.
Then I tried to print a test cube. Here is the results.

Hope snapmaker will come with an answer soon. At least just to tell that they are aware of the issue.

In a related question has anyone able to select and print the built in gimbal object ?

I have got it to occationally produce g-code more by luck than thought.

I must be missing an important step because most of the time the “generic code” option is just ignored.

the object list displays “model(n)” …

cant see the wood for the trees!

gimbal 1sr attempt

answer

try changing the focus of model before generic g-code request

I think that the problem with layer shifting is in the case of firmware version 1.15.13 (which, by the way, is no longer available for download).
Users who use firmware version 1.15.12 do not have such problems - these are only my observations based on information from facebook group posts.
Can someone confirm this?

By the way - are you sure it’s not slicer problem (Luban 4.5.1) ?
Have you tried a different slicer like CURA?

Experiencing exactly the same issue. Luban 4.5.1 & firmware 1.15.13. But I used this firmware already before receiving the dual extruder, therefore can’t compare it to earlier versions. Calibration and all tests performed twice successfully though, without any level shifting.

Other small issues I noticed:

• When using German, the interface of the touch screen is a German/English/Chinese mess when doing the dual extruder calibration

• After unloading a filament during the calibration, I can’t load another one anymore. Works again after switching the printer off & on.

• There’s a link to the latest online version of the manual in the quick start guide but there’s no such manual available for download

I have the same problem with the single Head!

Seems to work now after updating to firmware 1.15.17 & Luban 4.6.1 but needs more testing.

FYI, I had to adjust the left Z-offset by +1.0mm (right was only 0.05mm). As you can imagine the trying to print the X/Y calibration with the result auto-leveling (i.e., much lower) Z-offset gouged the heck out of the build plate. It’s working fine, now – I just expected auto-leveling & z-calibration would get it a bit closer.

I am experiencing the issue as well with firmware 1.15.17. I did not use Luban yet, just having trouble printing the calibration/check print. I tried auto-leveling, tried it manually - black seems to print fine, but the white breakoff filament prints at 185°C while on the spool it says “220 - 230”, maybe that’s why… I noticed, the temperature for “right” is 185/200°C - so it seems to start printing before it reaches the right temperature
I try again now with a brand new print sheet… the other one was messed due to gouging

The German/English/Chinese language mess remains as well in 1.15.17 - I switched to English meanwhile

My first print:

tried again and after the circle was messed up again I changed the right nozzle temperature to 200 degrees manually all the time, it comes out like this:

I did the calibration using black & white PLA (and also a new sheet), not breakaway PLA (as my first attempt using this failed too).

The instructions in the manual aren’t unambiguous anyway. Once breakaway PLA should be used, once only two different & distinct colors.

I think this is a bug/slicing problem in the GCode for the calibration model. The nozzle that is currently idle is set to 150°C cooldown/standby temperature, and shortly before it gets used again set to 185°C “warmup”. Only when its job really starts, it is set to 200°C, but the hotend is not waiting to reach 200°C and starts off right away. I did my first print with Cura in dual color recently, and Cura uses the “wait for temperature” command, so no issues there.

So, I guess Snapmaker needs to update their hard-coded calibration model. I was also wondering how you might print the calibration model at other temperatures… I do not remember the wizard any more, but I don’t think you were asked for the temperature, were you?

1 Like

well, I swiped on the touchscreen while printing, you still can set temperatures there…
Everytime the temperature was set by gcode to 185, I set it to 200, so it was 200 or near when it started - I will print the Luban included “gimbal” and look if the “wait for temperature” is working there

did you have any success with calibration check while printing white at 220…

and gimbal model?

I ve taken a rest…

so that I can keep my sanity

seems little or no quality control???

I did not try printing white at 220
the gimbal model worked out quite ok

now I’m facing more and more problems…
I tried after a couple of days (printer switched off) a regular model, no test print. I used Luban 4.5.1 when the print started about 3cm above the sheet - no matter what I tried. First thing I did - I was looking for updates in Luban, it said there was an error looking for updates. I found 4.6.3 on the snapmaker site, installed it and tried my print again - same issue. So I had no other choice than calibrate everything again. In Luban I found that I can only connect via WiFi; connecting USB will result in showing me, that the single extruder would be connected. With Wifi connected, I can not change temperature while printing, the console does not show anything (except “connected via Wifi”); remaining time will stay the same all the time, the nozzle temperature for Left nozzle is shown as 35°C although the touch screen says 222…
The settings for prints in the slicer are ridiculous - I remember when I could choose between normal, fast and high and it would set a lot of things automatically - now it looks like everything is set by default and if I choose custom I have to change everything manually…
Looks like there are still lots of issues…

Edit: lots of those issues are already known - found a thread: Luban V4.5: Known Issues & Corresponding Solutions