DIY Rotary Attachment

Change the fill density.

thanks will be trying it this evening

hi AlienWorkshop,
stupid question were do i find the fill density
below is all i can find

all sorted thanks guys have found it

What you have done here is pure genius using the bed to drive the rubber bearings. The engraving output quality looks outstanding. Great work.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, great and simple solution.
Which Laser settings (speed and power) did you use on the Bottle and the Mug?

Hi AlienWorkshop thanks for posting the plans of your unit my attempt using a old road sign :rofl:

2 Likes

Sweet! Looks like it worked out great!

I use jog speed of 2200, and work speed of 100 to 120. Fixed power of 100.

Nice idea with the ring on the bottom-I’ll have to try this out!

This is such a great idea!
For my project, I went with 8mm rods and bearings from Amazon to help reduce costs

Rods:

Bearings:

I then created some “treads” for the bearings to give them more gripping power. You can find the treads for the bearings here:

Great Work! Thank you for this very cool project.

1 Like

I’m curious if skateboard wheels would work. Something like:
https://www.amazon.com/FREEDARE-Skateboard-Bearing-Spacers-Cruiser/dp/B06ZZZJJ2P.

You could, but smaller wheels will allow you to laser on smaller diameter objects. This is what I’m using…

The frame is built in such a way that I can space the rods at multiple spacing apart for various size objects.

2 Likes

So I’m using a similar setup, but my engraving is coming out warped. I was wondering if there was a wheel size ratio offset or something that needs to be accounted for?

Nope. 1cm bed moment = 1cm cylinder rotation.

Weird. Wonder why mine is distorting along the Y axis…

What is the diameter of your wheels?

Here is the issue I’m running into. I have a setup very similar, but I’m using smaller wheels. The distortion is along the Y axis (bed movement) so I’m not sure what is happening. The tumbler is level to the laser. Any advice would be awesome.

This should be a circle. It’s dimensionally correct along the X-axis.

Shouldn’t matter what dimension your wheels are. It should still be 1:1 movement.
Either the wheels are slipping on the base or the object, or both. Rubber bands can help improve grip. You can use them either wrapped around the object. Or to hold the object against the wheels.

-S

I’m using rubber bands around POM wheels and have cardboard fixed to the bed for the wheels to roll on. I also have stops in place to keep the tumbler from traveling during spinning. I checked to see if it’s slipping around on the wheels, but it seems to travel just fine. It’s has a linear progression as well. For every 10mm of engraving, it misses 1mm. For example: If you are printing a 40x40 object, if you add a millimeter for every ten on the Y axis it is pretty close to accurate. So I would set X at 40 and Y at 44 to get a 40x40 engraving.