Disconnecting will stop the current print job

Not sure if this is a feature or a bug.
When I upload a file from Luba to the printer via WiFi and then start the job on the touchscreen, print is starting. After some time WiFi connection in Luban is lost. When I enable it again and then disable it manually either in Luban or on the touchscreen I get the message that the current job will be stopped?!
I’m not sure what this is about. After the upload the stl file should exist locally on the printer, so there seems to be no need to stop the job when disconnecting?
I’m asking cause when the printer is connected it shows the screen that says “Make something wonderful” In that screen I’m not able to slide left for changing something (enclosure light, etc…)

1 Like

If you upload your code and start the job on the printer itself you can connect and disconnect to Luban without any trouble. The warning has no effect.
I think the print will only be stopped when you start the print job from the buttons (without transfering it to the machine before):

It is cool that you can change some settings (temperatures, working speed, Z offset, LED, cooling fan, pause/resume) after the print is started in the software insted of the small touch screen.
I thought this would only be possible with USB cable.

1 Like

So even if the touchscreen says “dissconnecting will stop the current job” it won’t happen? Very strange message then…

Very strange… I’m sure that I have been testing the behavior a few weeks ago.
When you disconnect on the touch screen the print will stop.

Currently I’m in a 20h print and don’t want to test now.
With firmware v1.09 it was for sure that you was able to connect and disconnect in Luban.

I can disconnect in Luban. Only thing is the touch screen still shows connected with the option to disconnect which leads to the Message…

Maybe you can test it when youre print is done?!

Has this been addressed yet?

Snapmaker 2.0 A350
Running Luban-4.1.4-win-x64 w/ firmware 1.14.2

File sent via wifi. Disconnected from computer and started via touchscreen. ~20 hour print
I opened Luban sometime later to look at a future project, and when I finished working in Luban I discovered the touchscreen had popped up with a warning stating it had lost connection and to “Confirm to stop your current engraving job.”

Obviously I’m not engraving - I’m 14 hours into a print. I’m going to let it finish without confirming anything but I’m curious if this prompt is going to override any additional errors that could happen. Will the print be able to continue from a power fail? What if I wanted to change the filament or it ran out?

I will make sure to uncheck the “connect automatically” box in the Luban workspace, but It would be nice to know what’s going on. I might have to schedule a short print just to test these scenarios (if so, I will report my findings).

The only time that I’m use WiFi is when I’m doing a Laser alignment, as a WiFi disconnect for any reason will cause the currently running job to cancel. It looks like there is a popup now before the cancelation, but this has been an issue since day one. Also, using WiFi to talk to the TouchPad, is not the same as using USB to talk to the Controller. Using USB is generally safe, but using WiFi is not. A simple WiFi glitch will cancel your currently running job.

In the past running a file from the touchscreen would still allow you to connect via wifi, run a couple commands via the terminal (I used to do this to send occasional workspeed adjustments using M220) and then you can safely disconnect while the local touchscreen file continues running.

It appears they changed the touchscreen so that when you disconnect now from wifi it would also stop the local touchscreen job.

That is what I was referring to. Mine has been doing that since the day that I received it back in September of 2020, which is why I haven’t used WiFi since. I was in the middle of a 19 hour print. At around the 12 hour mark I connected to the TouchPad via WiFi to check the status, closed the WiFi connection, and the job aborted. The only difference now is that a popup shows before it stops the job. Back then, the job would end and then the popup would display.

1 Like

Yay :roll_eyes: love inconsistent behavior. Maybe I’m imagining doing that but I could’ve sworn I did that a little over a year ago.

Anyways, good to know.

Pretty sure I was able to also.
I know that I was able to connect just to see if the coordinates were changing so I could see if job was still running if my camera failed me.

-S

Um, I can confirm this is still a bug/issue. I send the files via WiFi, then on the touch screen, if I connect with desktop again to check it or use Luban, it will connect and thus you are stuck.

This little popup screen on the handheld needs to have a disconnect quietly and confirm to quite job or continue with job. Why on earth have no way to get back to the job status on the handheld?

Just letting it run with the ‘confirm’ popup showing. Touching it does stop the job.

2 Likes

yeah i have been super careful to not touch it when i cause that to happen. but luban is [warning: opinion] pretty bad so i gave up on using it over just walking back and forth with a usb stick. there is a thing to post-process files for prusa which makes thumbnails work and that was the final nail in the luban coffin for me.

1 Like

And now they have their new machine coming out… I read their notes to the 2.0 owners and ok great, I understand that we are all left to suffer…
Where can I get access to the base code for the software and the drivers… There is surely a place to add an, “if machine is active” statement that does not cause a stop to occur when the wifi disconnects. When this does happen for me (I also use a laptop so when the laptop goes the sleep when connected the same things happen) I let it keep running with the touchscreen having its connection issue warning on screen.

The touchscreen software is not open source, there is no place to get access to it unfortunately. The only option is to dump the software binaries out of the published update packages and try to decompile them although no one has managed to successfully patch a binary and upload it to the touchscreen. If the touchscreen was bricked by such an update we don’t have the build toolchains to unbrick them, like no USB access to flash the touchscreen.

Just quickly covering the state of the other hardware pieces:
The main controller we do have full (hacked together) build toolchains for including a replacement bootloader - I have unlocked and reprogrammed the controller using a chip programmer, it’s not very easy but it does work.
The toolhead chips I have not done that for, all I have been able to do is recompile the toolhead firmwares with small modifications and use the standard firmware loading process through the touchscreen to update the toolhead with the updates. If an update bricked the toolhead there is a debugging port but I don’t have a dump of the bootloader so it would be impossible to reprogram it at this time.

It would be great if at least snapmaker would publish the bootloaders for the main controller and toolheads to assist with this properly and not rely on the hacks the community has been able to put together.

2 Likes

Hello, any progress on this ?
Would also like very much to connect and disconnect without trouble…

There are not enough tickets created for the issue. Submit one - Support Ticket Form

I got following response to my ticket about this - File Transfer via WiFi - #78 by nweolu

checkout 1.18.0
There been some work done…