CNC missing configurations and other glitches

For some reason when loading a jpeg into the CNC editor I’m only given the option of RELIEF as a mode of configuration. The problem with using this on a pure black and white image are really long work times due to the g-code passing over white background areas as though they are sections to be milled.

One workaround I have found is to import your image as an .SVG file which seems to limit you to the PATH configuration. It’s not perfect as you’re limited to either ON THE PATH or FILL as the most useable options which doesn’t work well for grey scale images.

The other issue in using the OUTLINE and ON THE PATH configurations with SVG files is that I get an square artifact made up of 10 x 10 array of dots at the top of any image I am trying to mill. The 10 x 10 dot artifact is always the same size regardless of the image size I am importing. The SVG files were generated in Adobe Illustrator.

*see attached screen shot

Any thoughts?

-E

Well, a JPEG is never a pure black-and-white image (the nature of the compression built into the format blurs lines at the edges, so it’s automatically greyscale). However, some quick tests suggest that Luban is set up to handle raster image formats (JPEG, PNG . . .) one way and vector image formats (SVG) in another.

Also, I remember Adobe Illustrator as being really, really horrible at creating SVG files. Granted, I haven’t dealt with it in more than ten years, so that may have improved. Does the grid still show up if you load the file into a third-party program like Inkscape?

I think you nailed it. The grid artifact wasn’t showing up when I load into Inkscape. But if I recreate the image in Inkscape and import into Luban it does not show up! Thanks for the help!

-E