CNC Bracing For Added Rigidity & Other Mods

Nice to know! I’ve been able to efectively evacuate chips on my other cnc machine with a spindle fan like this: Spindle Fan for ER11 by HisashiIMAI - Thingiverse
It’s also nice since you do away with yet another piece of shop equipment (compressor) but it works just fine

The spindle fan is an interesting idea but my aim is to make less mess in my enclosure rather than more. Maybe I could make an integrated spindle driven vacuum setup for the machine.

Do check out this guy’s work then, it’s exactly what you’re talking about

3 Likes

I love it, cant believe I haven seen this awesome design until now! While its a cool concept I think a regular vacuum separator design is going to do so much better at keeping my enclosure clean. Plus I think I have to create a custom one to account for fitting my toolhead roller brace.

I think using the flexible, removable dust shoe with a regular vacuum would be nice

1 Like

You can always omit installing the impeller and it will do just that!

1 Like

Thanks for the endorsement!

Mr. Ramirez, I made a check on Youtube. You made an amazing dust shoe.

Ya I like the design overall but I am going to make my own with a smaller dust shoe and possibly a quick release for the whole suction head so It can just snap into place when installing the CNC module.

2 Likes

@Elliot Any more details you can offer on the insulation for the heated bed? Seems pretty straight forward; curious what your experience with it was.

Did you mount the whole insulation panel to the bottom, or did you cut it to fit with the frame?

1 Like

Please do share the remix, interested!

1 Like

@Mxbrnr The Bed insulation is a bit tricky because of the tight tolerance between the heated bed and the carrier frame. I actually applied two layer of insulation to try and get the most out of it the first is a relatively thin 80Mil foil backed butyl rubber layer which can cover almost the whole bottom and the second layer is patches of foil backed closed cell foam rubber to fill in the gaps in the frame structure. I would have preferred to just use the foam insulation but with the tight area this is not possible. I cut rough sized sections of foam using a traced template and then trimmed everything down till it fit properly. Here’s a few picture of the process and I can share a video if you want but I think its pretty self explanatory.

That is more than helpful. Thank you!
BTW, I just finished your z-axis slider brace mod, and am currently piecing together the x-axis slider brace. There are a few other mods on my machine that I am having to adjust to ensure proper fit and clearances between everything, but very much looking forward to having it complete.

1 Like

@Elliot Wow, impressive work my dude!
Been working on a vacuum myself but being a student doesn’t leave me much time to work on side quests.
I’ll be following this post to check on the projects progress

Best of luck

Hello, thank you for the great idea and the design.

I got the Snapmaker 2.0 250 as a gift and I’m particularly interested in the CNC module. But with so much game it’s not very usable.

I will definitely add the struts as well. What I don’t understand is why on the Z axis they made the assembly of the rollers so complicated? Wouldn’t it be better and more accurate to use a continuous smooth axis? And no screws, which are inherently less accurate.
Well, I mean to mount it in a similar way to how the wheels are mounted on inline skates.

Would you make the drawing file available so that this could possibly be adapted?

Thank you for your great work.
Best regards
Andre

So how did it go milling aluminum?

Many Thanks for this Mod.
I recently printed and mounted all and it is really nice. Nice fitting, nice instruction and better results. And it is really fun to Install. I like such mods.

2 Likes

That’s a sweet looking design. I just received the new quick swap kit from Snapmaker and was wondering if this design would be compatible as-is or whether it will require some modifications.

2 Likes

Do you happen to know exactly how far apart the screws are supposed to be for the 2" aluminum angle?

Thinking about milling this, but just want to make sure I get the dimensions right instead of reinforcing any existing slant.

I just want to likewise say thank you to Elliot for a great design on the Z-Axis and Tool Head Carriage Braces, as well as the Heated Bed Cable Saver. Printed all in Polymaker ASA, on my Snapmaker A350 using many of your suggested settings, and with very little post-processing, they are all installed and are working beautifully. Awesome, sir. Thank you most kindly.

I highly recommend anyone considering these mods to follow the instructions and just do it.

2 Likes