CNC self-impelled vacuum dust shoe (no external vacuum required)

After many many hours of design and testing I have completed the Snapmaker 2.0 self impelled floating dust shoe. It is a vacuum attachment for the CNC head that DOES NOT NEED AN EXTERNAL VACUUM because it uses the motor in the CNC head to spin an impeller just above the work surface.

Here’s the early prototypes in action: Snapmaker Self-Impelled Dust Shoe - YouTube.
It’s been about 2 years in development.

Snapmaker 2.0 CNC Self-Impelled Dust Shoe Attachment: Download STL file Snapmaker 2.0 CNC Self-Impelled Dust Shoe Attachment • 3D printer design ・ Cults

23 Likes

Looks really good, I’ve got to try this at some point!

Very cool, do you need to use longer bits to account for the depth of the flexible shoe?

No, the whole purpose is to provide a good seal with the work surface on deep cuts. There’s a short brush attachment also included without the bellows for engraving and such.

1 Like

What material did you print it from? Just wondering if PLA will handle the centrifugal force.

I have tested the impeller with PLA, fiber reinforced PLA and PETG with no problems. I think PLA works fine, but I tend to be conservative in my approach and wanted something that I don’t have to fuss with. Of course, if it breaks, you can just print a replacement! I just uploaded the high l strength PLA Cura profile I developed for it yesterday. It’s not necessary, but may help.

1 Like

@gil.a.ramirez very impressive design and problem solving! As I endeavor to take this project on (previously I had solve the issue with an external vacuum), I have a couple follow-up questions for you:

• Do you have a video or photo of your prototype in action that you’d be willing to share?

• Have you considered selling versions of the prototype? I see the design costs around $12 US, do you have any interesting in printing the parts/components yourself and charging a higher fee?

• Have you had any issues with dust collecting around the CNC head such that is could cause the head to jam or get stuck with residue? With wood milling, I had concerns about fire safety and wondered if you had done any testing or could share videos of the prototype in action?

thank you,
Dan

Hi Dan.

• I provided a link to the YouTube video showing the prototype in action in the post. Can you see it? Or is there something else you’re looking for?

• I would rather not. This is a hobby for me, and I enjoy the design, engineering, and prototyping. I don’t have an interest in setting up a manufacturing operation at the moment.

• I have run extensive testing, over two years, including CNC runs lasting over three days, working out the kinks. I have not seen any problems with deposits clogging the dust shoe. The impeller generates considerable positive air pressure, and the interior of the exhaust pipe contains a cut water to reduce turbulence.

Thanks

Gil

1 Like

Very good. Loved the idea!

In terms of suction and airflow, is this equivalent to a vacuum?
At the end of the extraction pipe, what filtering did you use?

From what I can see, there is no filter. It works like old vacuums used to, where the bag is the filter.

The flow is capable of extracting the chips of material generated by the end mills. I established this qualitatively through hours of testing. The filter bag is my filter, but it’s completely up to you to use whatever system you wish. You have the ability to attach any type of separator or filter you want at the exit of the hose.

1 Like

Very cool Gil. I will be trying it out very soon. I wonder how it will fare on aluminum plate. We shall see…
John

GIL, Do you have plans to inform people of one you design for the 200 watt?

Yes, I will post it on the forum and Facebook, likely also Cults3D.

Thanks Gil, I appreciate that. I just got my 200 watt last week.