CNC Bit in Fusion incorrect

The Snapmaker Toollibrary says for the single flute flat end 30mm bodylenght. After installing it corresponding to the tutorial (end of the flute flat fitting to the end of the fixing bit) there is only 20 mm length left outside the spindle holder.
Where is my fault? Did i misassemble it? Or is the value for fusion wront?
Thanks for your help
Alex

Tool length is listed as 38mm which is correct.
Length below holder is listed as 30mm.
The only values that really matter in Fusion are diameter and flute length (the length that it can cut). Which for that bit is listed as 7mm. But I’ve measured and found that it’s 12mm and have been able to cut that deeply with it.
-S

But I measured length below holder 20mm and had problems to cut because my wood was 20 mm and the holder touched the wood and the flute stopped turning…

You can cheat a little and not have the bit completely flush with the collet and get a couple more mm to cut with.
If you need more than that you’ll need a longer bit.
-S

I just went through all the settings and the inconsistencies irked me as well. I just made this spreadsheet with measured values and exported my tool settings.
The default tools from the download page also included what appeared to be several 1/4" shank bits. I ordered the extra set and it did not come w/ anything other than 1/8". I wonder if they’re working on larger bits and collet.

-Nick

1 Like

I don’t believe SM sells anything but 1/8" bits.

You can buy a set of ER11 collets that will handle a variety of sizes from ebay or amazon.
I did but really found I only use 1/4" besides the 1/8" it came with.

-S

I’m planning to as well. I would love to adapt a compact router to it an run surfacing bits if the linear actuators can handle it . I agree, they only currently sell 1/8" from what I’ve seen. That’s why I found it odd that that their Fusion 360 tool profiles included 2 flat end mills w/ a 1/4" shank. One w/ a 5mm flute dia and another with a 6mm dia.

I wouldn’t bother upgrading the SM router. (although on the road map a more powerful head is planned) I don’t think it’s really built to handle it. Especially after finding out what happened when I had too large of a step-down with a 1/4" bit on oak. I had to take apart my rails to fix the play because they had vibrated loose.
If you really need the power of a compact router you need to get yourself (or use your SM to build) a real CNC machine.
-S

Fair enough. How much was too much on the step down w/ oak? I’m currently doing the recommended .5mm and it’s brutally slow.

On oak and maple I generally use .5mm step-down at 400mm/min. I’ll see how it’s running and either slow down or speed up a bit. Maple is usually consistent but oak can really vary.
I use a 1/4" flat end for first clearing pass (adaptive or parallel depending on piece) Then a second clearing pass with 1/8" and a final pass with a smaller bit either flat or ball or v depending on cut and detail.

-S

Hi, thanks for the great tool setting!

1. Would it be possible for you to share the V drill bit configuration as well?

2. Also could you add to the spreadsheet which drill bit set includes each bit?
    i.e. which drill bit comes with 3 bits set and 5 bits set…especially the small diameter flat end.

If you download the tool library from the snapmaker2.0 website it will have the descriptions next to them, and it will have the extra bit accessory pack in the list. You also need to go to the original snapmaker and download the original tool library because it contains the v bit tool.

hope this helps!

1 Like

Ahh, found it there, thank you!

Now I guess that the 3-bit set was released for Original and 5-bit set was released for 2.0, probably?
Both should be compatible with both Original/2.0 anyway but I was confused about Fusion 360 tool library.
I bought both sets, and the thinnest flat end looks different. Now I see it’s defined in the Original tool library as well as V-bit.

Again, thank you so much for the great help!

1 Like

in the meantime i found out, that it is pretty easy to add new tools in fusion. You just need the measurements of the bits which are usually provided by the manufacturer. So you dont need the tool library from Snapmaker. Some manufacturer provide a finished tool preset to import in fusion

If you don’t already you really should have a digital caliper.
You can find them fairly cheap on amazon. (I’ve got one from igaging that’s been great).
That way you can measure and check the dimensions of all your bits.
For 3D printing you can check the diameter of your filament. For designing parts it’s much more accurate than trying to use a ruler.
For laser you can verify the thickness of your material when using auto-focus.

-S

What Holder do you use?

The default settings from SM bits are stupid crazy slow. Have any of you tried adjusting the pass depth? For example on VCarve, the default setting for a 1.5mm end mill pass depth is 1.2mm and the SM one is .2mm, that’s a huge difference. I’m curious if anyone has tried different settings to speed it up without breaking the bits.

holder? the standard one which came with the sm2