CNC bits not found in Fusion 360 tool library

Hi guys,
I’ve ordered the Snapmaker 5 bits kit for the CNC but I can’t find all the exact 5 bits on the Fusion 360 tool library provided by Snapmaker Team on the download section.

It seems to me that the Flat End Mill 1.5mm, Ball End Mill 3.175mm is present on Snapmaker 2.0 library.
I also found the V-Bit 3.175mm inside the Original library.

I can’t find both the Flat End Mill 3.175mm single and double flute. Inside the Snapmaker 2.0 library there are similar bits but the overall length in the library is 45mm and the bits I’ve received are 38mm.

PS: there are also other bits on the library but… where to buy?

1 Like

Following… I don’t understand this either.

I just noticed this last week after prepping to learn CNC mode. You’ll need to grab a caliper and input the correct settings. Not hard, but a pain I didn’t expect. We could easily make a community tool file and share it to save time for others.

Literally anywhere that sells tools. Amazon, Home Depot etc. You want to buy bits made for an ER11 collet, and no larger than 1/4" IIRC. oh, and you’ll still need to enter the exact parameters into fusion unless you happen to buy something specific that’s in there.

But you’ll also likely need a set of collet chucks as well as the bits come in many diameters.

Here’s a picture of my snapmaker bits next to a Bosch 1/4’ inch and you can see the matching collet chuck (also see them called nuts) left of the package which is huge compared to the one that comes with the printer. But since it’s ER 11, it will fit.

Here’s the collet set I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FJQTYWY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_JwDRFb9V9APNW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Thank you so much for all the info!
Yes, if someone could share the correct and updated file for the Snapmaker bits it would be great.

In the picture I can see also a nice stand for the bits… can you please share us the stl file or the fusion one?

Well, you can find a lot of bits with the “standard” 3.175 shaft diameter (the cutting end can be thinner or even thicker). In that case you don’t need to switch collets.

The length isn’t that big of an issue (depending on how deep you want to cut into the material) as you need to set your z-height anyway. If your bit is longer or shorter, it doesn’t really matter.

That being said: shorter bits will likely deflect less as they are pushed harder or the material you’re cutting is harder. And the length of the bit must be at least long enough for the maximum depth you want to cut. So typically the cutting part of the bit must be longer than the depth of your cut.

In short, if the other parameters are ok, I wouldn’t worry about the actual length as you’re setting you’re z-height anyway. (And will differ every time depending on the material thickness you’re using)

2 Likes

Thanks brvdboss,
the point is that I’m not sure all the other parameter are ok and don’t know how to check.
It would be great if Snapmaker Team update the file or someone expert check the actual one provided on the download section.

I agree with you on what SM ought to do. But you can get rolling in short order with a set of calipers. If you don’t have any, there’s a lot of uses for them so now’s the time! Not too expensive on Amazon. Seriously, you really do need some on hand for this hobby.

• measure thickness of CNC or laser material
  • measure bits for CNC tool library
  • measure filament to calibrate 3DP extruder
  • measure a real-world item in order to fashion a 3D model

And more. I use mine all the time.

2 Likes