Carbide Create queries

Hi guys, I am trying different options for the CNC module, one of which is Carbide Create. I’m sure I saw it mentioned on here previously that someone had it working with the Snapmaker 2? I did a search but couldn’t for the life of me find the correct thread.

So I made my design in carbide and saved it as g-code. I changed the file type from .nc to .CNC and transferred it to the usb drive. Plugged the drive in and went to start the job…but nothing happened! The spindle didn’t rotate and the module stayed putt.

Have I missed something or do it simply not work with carbide create?

Thanks for any help and pointers guys.

Carbide create outputs grbl code, which allows for motion to be specified just with a coordinate and not a movement command. This firmware was compiled without support for that, but it’s trivial to add to the firmware.

If you want to not change firmware you’ll need to apply a regular expression to the code as specified in the thread here Carbide Create and Snapmaker2

If you are interested in testing a new firmware feature PM me, I can enable the feature and send it to you. I think then it would natively run. If it works well enough I can suggest it to the main feature branch and everyone can enjoy it!

It’s also possible it’s something else, so you should post the gcode also.

Hi Brent

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I have absolutely no coding experience at all, although I am willing to give it a go. I have read the attached thread, however it makes little sense to me i’m afraid. Is there any chance you could make a simple (and I mean simple!) fools guide for me to follow?

I find carbide create very user friendly and 10x better than Luban, so if I could get it up and running on the A350, it would be a massive help and i’m sure others would also find the same.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I found this after a lot of bodging around with search engines: https://gist.github.com/pablinhob/5b4a28e6b459bf64f90c No idea whether it works, but it should be a simple matter of installing python and running the script, then seeing whether the Snapmaker will take what comes out of the other end.

There’s also https://www.instructables.com/Run-Easel-Gcode-on-almost-Any-CNC-Router/ , which is a set of hand-transformation instructions for a text editor, although it focuses on a specific grbl-generating program which is not Carbide.

@ElloryJaye Looking through that, it’s actually not complete enough, it doesn’t handle lines with multiple parameters starting with F or spaces in commands. Any single line starting with I-J, P-Q, X-Z, and E-F is valid.

Although that could be used as a start to make something more inline with the correct parser behavior.

Hi Brent…did the CC to SnapMaker2 interface work out. I find myself suffering with Luban, But I been using CC for a couple years and would much use CC. Tried Carveco (old artcam) but the files wont load, and the postprocessor hasn’t been updated for years. If you can shed any light on the subject I would greatly appreciate.

You can try the script from here if you like: Grbl to Snapmaker Marlin g-code converter . Feedback is still welcome if you find something that doesn’t work.