Artisan CNC Tool Change G-Code

While I do not have an Artisan, I would assume the setup is similar to the 2.0. I’ve written a guide on repeatable origins and bit swapping found here:

However, I HAVE had an idea on a way to semi-automate it, just haven’t gotten around to it. Basically involves custom tool change commands. i.e. where a traditional CNC usually calls a toolchange with say “T1 D1” (tool 1, diameter/height 1) and the machine interprets it to grab tool 1 from the toolchanger and assign the saved length value. The snapmaker would require moving up and out to a safe distance, pausing so you can remove the current tool and soft-load (don’t tighten down the collet nut), then press resume. It would then go back to a designated point (something repeatable like the bed, similar to my guide) and gently come down and push the new bit into position and stop again, letting you tighten the nut and thus, setting the tool at the exact height the other was. Afterwards it would move back up to a safe distance, then continue operation.

The main problem being the snapmaker runs on Marlin instead of a standardized CNC platform, so program pause and option stop (M00 and M01 respectively) are not recognized, and thus ignored. However, they do list M76 and M25 (which according to their documentation is M76 in a trench coat), which are apparently pauses.

I’ll try some playing around and see what I can come up with. If I find a viable solution, I’ll likely write a new guide on it. Sadly, this is still all speculation, as again, I don’t have an Artisan to play with. It could very well not be on Marlin anymore.

1 Like