3D Printing - Multiple Failures

Greetings all! New A350 user here. I just got the unit this week and started by printing out a medium-sized item which ran about 6 hours and it worked great!

I moved onto my next print which was a stand for the Oculus Quest. Both times, I started the print and it looked fine, but then the extruder got stuck on a portion of the build and actually moved the entire magnetic printing page off the heated bed. I have re-calibrated the bed and the offset each time, but this is the 3rd attempt at printing something and it is the 3rd failure.

Iā€™m on the latest firmware and using the PLA filament included with the unit.

Any suggestions? Photos attached. Ignore all the bends in the flat part - my kids got a hold of it. But you can see on the bottom where it started making what looks like a ā€˜trenchā€™ and this is when it moved the entire magnetic surface off the heated bedā€¦

Thanks in advance for your help!

Iā€™ve seen a couple posts where assembling the bed incorrectly made the magnetic bed shift. Once that happens, itā€™s a gamble on whether the print head will gouge the part or start printing spaghetti.

See if these posts help:

It took me a few search attempts to find those. ā€œmarā€, ā€œgougeā€, ā€œtrenchā€, and ā€œshiftā€ didnā€™t get any good results. I got those two links from ā€œshifting bedā€.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

OK so I doublechecked the proper installation of the bed (referred to another post about gouging) and Iā€™m good to go there. I also verified the correct screws are installed and that the bed is flat. I removed the 3D printing unit and made sure the extruder is clean. As part of the same post about gouging, I checked the distance between the sensor and the bottom of the tip (1mm) and itā€™s spot-on.

Next step may be to try messing with the calibration and perhaps putting it a bit higher than recommended.

Someone mentioned clamping the mat to the heated bed. If I can find something appropriate to do that, I may try that as well.

Iā€™ll make sure to post my progress, but any further suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Do you happen to have z hop selected in the slicer?

Binder clips work great to hold the bed down.
Blue tape will work too.

-S

2 Likes

I had similar problem. It actually broke my bed sheet, I had to cut off the destroyed bed sheet surface and flip it over and use the other side.

I found the problem is a calibration problem and it is caused by I changed the printer nozzle without properly aligned it inside the printer head. However still, I donā€™t think my printer head proximity sensor works. I tried to stop it with something while it is lowering and it doesnā€™t stopā€¦

Eventually, I manually calibrated the bed with a glass sheet and it works great, so far!

Hope this helps! I am also new, never used 3D printer before but I have an Engineering degree.

Not using z hop. I was using the recommended settings for normal or fast print. Iā€™m not too familiar with z hop but I did read that it can cause artifacts. Better than wrecking the entire print though :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™m going to try a new print today after I implement all the suggestions here. Much thanks to everyone for the assistance.

Quick update - I had a successful print this morning of a Covid door opener (wanted to try a quick print). After that, I loaded to other projects and started to print. In each case, the machine would just start printing a straight line and never moved to build the appropriate shape. Both of them were circularā€¦but itā€™s like it just gets stuck drawing a straight line and extruding. Eventually, this is where the bed shifts (Although I have painterā€™s tape to prevent that now).

This really seems like a software/firmware issue if I can get one successful print and then the subsequent ones go crazy.

Pics attached below of the successful and subsequent ā€˜crazy straight lineā€™ prints.

Thereā€™s an led on the sensor that goes on when it comes close to the bed.
Is it lighting up when you lower it manually?

-S

OK - turned off LED in the enclosure so I can see and lowered the head down and I see NO LED light even when Iā€™m beginning to contact the bed. However, the auto-calibration seems to work fine (does not gouge the mat). Do you think Iā€™m looking at a defective 3D printing unit?

That sounds like one of your linear modules isnā€™t moving properly, and maybe intermittently. Is it moving properly in all 3 axis?

As far as sensor, have you done this: https://support.snapmaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046839854-How-to-adjust-the-probe-proximity-sensor-in-the-3D-printing-module-

-S

Thanks! I looked closely and found that the LED light is functioning. I also started a calibration test and use the putty knife to test the sensor as it was lowering and it did stop. I also did check the sensor is at 1mm as recommended. Thatā€™s all good news. Still unsure why some prints are failing. Iā€™ll keep at itā€¦

Argh! Still no luck on a successful print! Everything seems to be working just fine and then at some point, the machine just starts moving along the y-axis and nowhere elseā€¦

See attached picture. I feel like I need to engage offical

support at this point.

I read the FAQ seems like the nozzle needs to be exactly 1mm in height difference from the proximity sensor, I think that is part of my problem. Anyway, I gave up on autocalibration already and manually calibrate on a glass sheet and it works great so not going to fix something this working well right nowā€¦

1 Like

Quick update on this issue. I heard from support this morning and they sent me the following article:

This appears to be exactly my problem. Upon opening up the linear module, there is no silicon pad to prevent overheating. They should be sending me a new linear unit and hopefully, that fixes the problem.

Thanks to everyone on the thread for your suggestions! I sure learned a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like