3D printing - height problem

Hello,

i just got the snapmaker 2.0.
I wanted to do a test printing by printing a dice (16 * 16 * 16).
I have a problem with the height, it is only 15mm.
When i look during printing i see the nozzle creating a groove in the bottom layer.
I tried to play on the z offset but that did not solve my problem.
I have already encountered this problem with my previous printer.
I had been able to solve it by increasing the motor steps of the z axis
but I haven’t figured out how to do it with the snapmaker 2.0 .
I tried to slice with Luban and Cura but the problem persists.
Do you know how to fix this problem ?

Regards,

Nicolas

1mm is a lot of height to be missing. I’m surprised that manipulating the Z-offset did not fix things, but if it is digging 1mm deep into the build plate (ouch) then maybe you didn’t raise the Z offset enough.

Try putting a raft under the die, maybe 0.25 or even 1mm high, with an air gap (0.1mm will suffice) between the raft and the model. These are all options in Cura. If that does not give you a die that is much closer to 16mm, it should at least give you an idea as to where the problem lies.

1 Like

In fact there is no problem with the first layer.
The nozzle does not rub on the build plate
It is the layers which follow which are hit.
I will give a completely wrong example. it is as if between each layer the nozzle had to rise by 0.1 mm but only rise by 0.8.
Which ultimately gives a lower impression than it should

I assume you mean 0.08? (not laying down the appropriate height)

Run a test with another model and see if you encounter the same anomaly.

Is it just the early layers? or is the model uniform?

Pug

Yes you are right, I meant 0.08mm.
Indeed, the whole dice is regular
i will test with another model.
Just for information the firmware is up to date and the calibration is done with a heated bed (70°)

Nicolas

I did some tests with different models.
I actually have the impression that the problem is on the first layer.
They are more crushed which creates a slight widening of the base and after the impressions become regular
Do you have any idea where the problem comes from?

Nicolas

Did you try with a raft? If the workpiece seperates from the raft and is the correct dimensions, then you know it is something in the first layers (Z height too low, bad adhesion, whatever).

If you print something, say 15mm high and then 25mm high, are they lower by an equal percentage? Or are they off by the same amount?
In other words, is it problem just with the base layer/s or is it with all the layers?
-S

Yes i tried with a raft.
Raft’s printed well but the dice itself has its first lines crushed like previous prints

I just printed 3 dice 10,16 and 25 mm high.
the 3 dice are missing about 0.9mm high and the first 2mm of each dice are crushed.
What intrigues me is that the test I did with the raft does not change anything.
The raft is well printed but the first 2 mm of the dice are also crushed with a lack of 0.9 mm high as well.

What type of filament and what bed temp?

-S

Are you using Cura for a slicer? Can you preview what the line types are, get an idea for how the printer is making the object? Might be a problem with the STL; if the raft is good then it’s definitely not Z offset. Maybe increase the outer wall size and see if it is more stable. Also, what infill? For a die, I’d guess 30% to maybe 75% if you want extra mass. Better to add thicker walls than to add higher infill.

1 Like

FWIW

I just changed to an all metal hot end which is about 0.7-0.8mm longer than the stock hot end. (I also used thermal paste, temperature was jumping around a bit after this for a little while)

Initial prints started fine but after several layers the Z started to lift away from the print (randomly on several benchy prints) It also stopped extruding all together.

What fixed it was re processing the files and upping the temperature by 10 degrees, I know this is not specific to your issue but could it help to re seat your extruder nozzle?

Pug

I have used different filaments to make sure it’s not a problem with the one given by snapmaker.
i calibrated the Z offsert at 70°
For printing, I did different temperature test between 50 ° and 70 °, I didn’t see any difference except at 50° I start to have warping.
I printed several objects which print very well on my other printer.
Looking closely, I realize that the problem does not start on the wall in contact with the bed.
the first 4 layers are good it’s after the problem begins as you can see on the photo

I had also problems with the z hight in my case it was the magnetic probe( next to the nozzle) it was a little lower than the tip of the nozzle. The effect was that during a thin 3 d object printing the machnetic probe pushed the object away. The bold was in my case sealed, strange that it caused this.
Could this the problem in youre case
Harry

new test, i doubled the wall size and set an infill of 30% instead of 15%.
Unfortunately no change

Did you ever figure out a solution to this problem? My SnapMaker was printing perfectly until a few days ago, but after a hot end change because of a PETG catastrophe (it ripped out the silicone boot), it is now printing at about 85% height.

I’m assuming either that either

A. my never-before-used hot end was defective from the factory,
B. there’s some kind of clogging problem somewhere, or
C. there’s a problem with it not feeding material correctly,

but I don’t know where to begin debugging this.

Just attempted to calibrate the flow rate and found an 8% error, but fixing that didn’t help.

Then tried printing the 3D test cube using a different profile (faster, low quality) and everything was perfect.

I’m having a hard time getting painter tape to stick reliably, so there might be some curling involved when printing the larger part, but I don’t think that’s the problem. It seems to just not be depositing enough material when laying down thinner layers, and only with this replacement hot end. I’m making one last print attempt, and if that doesn’t work, I have a new hot end on order. Will update the thread with my findings.

At the moment I also got some issues with the printing height. I tried many diffrent print profiles and also got an other printhead but the problem is still there.
If I print a calibration cube 20x20 mm my results are about X=19,95 Y= 19,95 and Z= 20,35.
Do somebody have an Idea why the Z dimension is so large?

Gap between print bed and nozzle.
Gap between raft and printed material.
Division error due to stacking pitch.

You may want to consider these stacks.