3D Print catching on top right

New to 3D printing, still using the A350 with ‘out-the-box’ settings. All my 3D prints seem to ‘catch’ on the top right of my print job. It looks like the bottom of the print head catches, (not the nozzle, but the body) but just there every time. It happens with the sample ‘vase’ or even flat prints, and always top right.

I have run all the calibrations/auto leveling etc.

From the bottom

Looking at the first layer, your nozzle is set too high. Thus it’s likely just curling up and then catching, especially since that’s the thinner area. Lower your nozzle height about 0.1 and try again.

Even just printing the brim it catches in the same place

like @Skreelink said: Your nozzle is too high. You have to adjust the Z-offset in the user interface (machine display".

1 Like

I know I am new, but I don’t understand how my nozzle is too high if the body is catching even the first layer of filament. Does the nozzle adjust independently of the body?

This is what my first layer looks like from the bottom now

You can see where the body started catching the print even on the first layer

Ok. Z-offset still looks a little high but there is probably something on the build surface too. Just adjust the z-offset a little bit and make sure the print surface is superclean. That includes fingerprints. :slightly_smiling_face:

Do I adjust Z-offset after starting the job? (there is a left z offset option)

I guess you can do it in the slicer too. It certainly looks like it in your picture…

I’ve wiped down the print surface very thoroughly with a damp cloth

So I must set it down -0.1?

I don’t know. Thats why its easier to do it on the machine while its printing because you can see the material getting more or less squished while adjusting the z-offset. Then you know if you need to press - or +.

Regarding damp cloth. You need domething that cleans of the grease from your fingerprints. Soap and water or isopropanol alcohol will do…

Here’s a bit of reading material:

I personally do it - like @Rwide suggested - using the printer’s touchscreen, and I do it on the fly. I make sure I have a skirt or a brim, and while the printer lays down that, I use the +/- to get it perfect. That ensures that when the object starts to print, I’m tuned in. I still watch the first layer, and once in a while it may happen that I do another adjustment then. Admittedly, I use the touchscreen for the whole job handling, i.e. I start the job from the tocuhscreen, not from Luban. If you use Luban to run the job, perhaps better do the adjustment there.

I also second @Rwide 's suggestions on cleaning the bed. I use dish washing soap.

1 Like

Damp cloth no.
Level the bed at the temperature you will print at and clean the print bed with 70% isopropyl alcohol and a fresh dry paper towel (unscented of course).

Your problem is related to bed adhesion. Your print isn’t sticking to the bed. I wouldn’t do a z offset. If you must do a z offset, your bed leveling calibration is garbage. Just when you level the bed at the final step where you calibrate the height drop the level until you feel resistance on your (supplied) calibration card. Then keep dropping it down another 0.05mm until you can pull the card but you can’t push the card. The moment the card buckles when you push it flat toward the nozzle you’re golden. Press save. I clean my bed with alcohol while it’s hot but before I calibrate (level bed).
Do this and if you’re still having problems let us know.

I use 99% isopropyl alcohol.

99% is always effective while some 70% isopropyl alcohol products have oil in them…

I eventually manually leveled the bed and lowered the hot end about 0.5 mm in the head. After playing a bit with the Z-offset (I now have it on -0.05) all my prints are coming out fine. Thank you all for your input

1 Like