Weird lines on layer 4 of every large print

Has anyone measured any significant amount of runout on the z module leadscrews?

What layer height? Is this possibly “magic number” related?

I don’t see if anyone answered you on how to roll back firmware: USB drive, put the firmware version you want on, load like normal.

Some leadscrew printers suffer from leadscrew wobble, the precession puts artifacts in repeating Z layers. This printer has a 2mm 4 start leadscrew with 8mm travel per full rotation: @NeilL: are the patterns repeating in a multiple or even fraction of 8mm? Like 2mm or 4mm maybe?

@ctaddey The printer firmware that handles Z is unaware of the raft, no it doesn’t ignore the mesh data unless specifically instructed.

Ok buddy.
In case you didn’t notice, I’m trying to figure out if the mesh data triggered z-corrections could be the cause of your weird pattern. AND I need to know about some working details for that.
It is consistent that the problem would appear on large prints, since the z-correction is done when you transition from zones that have different height between them. Also, there are some ‘magic numbers’ that could make the problem more visible in certain layers, depending on the layer height.
And all this is handled on firmware. a firmware change could make this appear, go away.
If you already have discarded this option, and explanation about how/why would be a lot more useful than ‘been there/is not that’

In have discarded nothing. One of the support team is looking at this too.

It is strange that more than one person is getting this and straight after a firmware upgrade.

Thanks for the details of how to roll back, will try that as a test. Just in case.

The machine is only 2 months old.

I would like to know how many who are seeing this and have reported it and using a print head 2.5? Mine is a 2.5

Also I have noticed a strange vibration on the print head when working the diagonal. It’s not there when printing a skirt or working round the edge, or printing a circle, where it plays the typical print tune.

Is there any perceptible jiggle in the toolhead if you grab it and gently rock it side to side and up and down? Could be a loose roller inside the module.

I need to check fully, but did not notice anything.

There’s been several other threads with a similar theme as your question, and unfortunately I don’t recall ever seeing a resolution. Sometimes using Simplify3D would result in reduced banding, sometimes not. Sometimes it was tied to changes in a model, sometimes not. It’s been elusive for sure, hope you’re able to chip away at this some, there’s many people who would benefit.

This thread comes to mind: Printing quality - lines printed
Also this one: Back to printing: Lines

Going to continue today. Going to try on a glass bed to rule out the flexing of the print sheet mentioned.

Will it’s not the print sheet.

This is on glass. Layer 1

Next to roll back firmware and rule that out.

From there I have no idea left. Same weird pattern.

I still don’t know what layer height you’re using.

Try putting a raft under it that’s not a multiple of the layer height - if it changes or goes away it’s probably hardware related to leadscrew precession.

I have been using two different ones. My car print and most of the ones with issues are 0.24 and high quality 0.1

I work do a sample with a raft to see. Just started a 40 hour print, so when it finishes.

Wanted to chime in here. Mine does this, but only with a very specific color of filament, bought multiple spools of same color to trouble shoot. Made sure each spool was dried for 12 hours before each test. Still can’t narrow it down. I have yet to do the E-Step calibration but it doesn’t do it on other colors. Makes me wonder if mine is just enough out of spec to only show its head with the specific color I’ve been using which is Hatchbox brown (looks more like rose gold imho). Currently doing a new PC build so I will do the E-Step calibration after the build is finished and will let you know. I’m well versed in CNC so stepper motor calibration I’m used to, but not so much for 3d printing and steppers for both CNC and 3D printing use very similar methods but CNC doesn’t have to worry about extrusion and I’m new to 3D printing and don’t fully understand the math of retraction and extrusion yet so it may take me a hot minute until I fully understand and read through the post about it here on the forum.

That’s a good point about the filament. Low quality filament can have periodic oscillations in the diameter due to wear on the manufacturing machinery.

If every 1ft there’s a bulge in the filament that would cause lines to occur regularly.

1 Like

@NeilL @brent113
I just reverted to the firmware 1.11.4 and the artefacts are gone … same filament, same temperature, same bed, same gcode …

i hope somebody can confirm this observation. If so, I would advise to have a look at the FPU floating point output versus the simulated one … (as this got enabled) or maybe something else that could cause such a difference …

@Artezio i had the filament on the printer (not in vaccum) for a week in the basement at 40%+ relative humidity … it was perfectly dry at the first print (got those artefacts several times) … now, asumingly way more humid, it did a nearly perfect print and the only change that comes to mind was the firmware downgrade … ?

Thanks for doing this. This was my next test. Just doing a long print, should finish tomorrow evening. Will do this in Monday and run my test. Assume you just put the bin file on USB and ran it?

The SM office is closed for a few days for Labor weekend, do probably won’t get a reply from @Edwin till they open again.

1 Like

It’s gotta be something with the firmware then. I’m still on 1.9…

Finally rolled it back today to 1.11.4 and there is no difference. Question is, does it also rolll back the print head or only the controller? Looks like only the controller. Did some tests, still weird patterns, do now back to latest firmware.

@Edwin I wrote an email today back to support with a video, I have noticed a strange vibration on the X linear, on one side in one direction only (same side as the weird lines). I am beginning to believe I have a faulty linear module causing this. I have exhausted all other avenues.

1 Like

as I have/had similar lines, would you mind sharing the video with me too.
Although the pattern is nearly gone now (after reverting) maybe there is something else in the works as well. have that gut feeling something is still not quite right. did the sound change too?

Best, Hannes

I can’t upload the video here there is a very small upload limit.

Not only does my X linear vibrate but it gets hot too at one end. The river made no difference. We have agreed it is a problem with the linear and they are replacing it.

Unfortunately rolling back did nothing to stop the issue.

I was told that you have received the linear module replacement.

Could you please update something here?

Edwin

Replacement arrived. Fedex left it outside in the rain, but thankfully it was only the packaging that was soaked.

Easy change and printed my first test piece, issue has gone, clean nice print. And much quieter, no vibrations.

Thank you SM support.

1 Like