We haven’t forgotten 2.0 owners! Provide some thoughts on the backward compatibility of Artisan

That would not work very well for CNC. Where, as I understand, they want to offer a better solution for CNC. With 3-in1 type machine, you’ll always make concessions that’s good for one application, but worse for the other.

3 Likes

You know…I read this post from Jade and wonder just what the hell I’ve bought into…I’m an early adopter of an A350 and honestly, it sucks as a 3D printer…
I’ve since purchased an Ender 3Pro and couldn’t be happier…It seems most of you who continue to struggle with the SM 2.0 are just fooling yourselves…And after reading Jades comments I’m not sure a rocket scientist could follow his convoluted story…
If anybody is interested in buying this boat anchor drop me a line…it can be yours for a very reasonable price…
Shipping will be a problem with the enclosure, but we’ll figure it out…

I am in a quandary. I need to make a functional model to prove a patent application. It needs 3D printed parts (over 40), gears among them, laser etching and cutting and/or CNC cutting thin plywood, so when I learned of the A350 I was enamoured. It was a bit too small for what I needed, but I scaled down the model a bit to fit its working volume. Certain purchased parts made down scaling a bit difficult, but doable.

The only reason I have not yet purchased an A350 is an inheritance has been held up in probate (over a year now).

Enter Artisan. Big enough to do what I originally wanted. But upscaling the model is now just not practical. Probably way more expensive than a full kit A350, less the rotary mill, (hopefully it will see a discount now) and alas, the Artisan enclosure is probably too big to place in my workshop. Even the A350 is a squeeze. The A350 will do what I want, the Artisan should be able to do more.

What to do… What to do.

I think DualE is the last of the 2.0-compatible extensions. Are there any other extensions that might see sales numbers?
I think it will eventually become 3.0, just as it went from Original to 2.0.
I expect that artisan’s know-how (linear module) will be put into it.

@Jade can you get the Snapmaker Original software and hardware open-sourced please? It works, but lacking modern features has been left behind and could benefit from community involvement now or in the future. I’m not sure what input you saw to the snapmaker2-controller project, but I thought I saw the odd community contribution…

I would not be that pessimistic. Opposed to SM Original, the SM2 connectors are technically and mechanically compatible to Artisan. So, with tens of thousands of SM2 units in the field - why miss out on these customers? As long as the general structure of SM2 supports it, it would be easy and commercially sensible to offer any Artisan module also for SM2 - you can sell more.

1 Like

I am not pessimistic. All I wanted from SM2 was a precise 3D Printing with a linear module and I am happy with that.
About 2 years after the original, SM2.0, and about 2 years after that, Artisan.
A few years after SM2.0, the market interest will wane. A new product launch seems inevitable.
If Artisan’s linear module is applied, it will be more marketable as 3.0 instead of 2.x.
It would be nice to see a conversion kit for 2.0.
It’s hard to have to repurchase a 10W laser and DualE for a quick swap.

Let me write down what I consider to be the configuration of the update kit for 2.0.

-Base plate
-Artisan linear module
The size of the linear module has changed, but it is not a problem if the base plate is sold as a set. If the linear module can be improved to 48x48, that is not necessary either.

Thereafter, the buyer chooses as needed.

-Quick swap attachment for the module.
Attachments for 3DP, CNC, and laser modules.
Different people want to use different modules: 1.6w, 10w, SingleE, DualE, CNC.
It is desirable to be able to purchase the number of modules needed.

-Work platforms (for 3DP, laser engraving, CNC).
Naturally, these are also individually selected.

-New power supply module + 200w CNC module.
For those who do not use CNC, the new power supply is unnecessary, so it can be sold as a set.

Wouldn’t the above work fine?
I think those who have purchased the 10w laser as well as those who are going to purchase the DualE module will be relieved.

So from what Melitta and Jade wrote elsewhere, the controller would also need an update, since the outputs are rated 5A on SM2, but 10A on Artisan. Adding all things up, you’re basically not upgrading SM2, but buying a new printer. Few things remain from the old machine if you exchanged all needed. Personally, I think that this is wishful thinking. I have no problems accepting that Artisan is a new product and do not expect them to make everything possible on my SM2. With my earlier remark I see a good chance that I may get some updates still, but even if not: SM2 is valuable for me as it is, otherwise I’d not have bought it. If Artisan would be valuable for me, I’d sell my SM2 and get an Artisan - easy as that.

Sounds like an Artisan but without the work heads.

There’s an even simpler laser hot swappable platform hack: I just took high stick 3M adhesive spray and glued all three pieces directly to a bed sheet - I may or may not have destroyed said sheet on one side due to user error monkeying with firmware settings. :rofl:

I’m convinced that quick-swap work platforms are a powerful and attractive feature for existing 2.0 users.

If you will decide to offer a new Y-axis linear only with the upgrade to 2.0, the development cost would not be wasted.

Because many existing users will not buy Artisan but find the quick-swaps very attractive.

Many users will buy the upgrade module. It will also make it easier to sell 2.0 inventory, which will be less likely to buy.

You also have to handle 2.0 modules to maintain 2.0 users.

What do you think about?

1 Like

What does it mean with 48*48? Is it length or something else?

It is the cross sectional area described by Jade.
It would be nice if it could be improved based on Artisan’s know-how, but I doubt it will be possible.

I took the liberty of writing a SM2.0 → SM3.0 conversion kit.
Given that there was no Orginal → 2.0 conversion kit, I doubt this will happen either.

Any chance an Artisan package would be available with just the 200W CNC module for us early adopters that have upgraded along the way? A bit of a price break to show support would be appreciated. Setting up my SM 2.0 as a single use machine and moving to the Artisan for multipurpose use would work for me if I don.t have to double purchase all the compatible items.

1 Like

Question for SM staff.

Will the 10w module for Artisan be a 10w module for 2.0 with a quick swap attachment screwed on?

Thanks for valuable information, waht about printing speed & accelaration ? are you implementing newly launched technology for speedy prining like the launched one with Ankermake & Bambu lab ?

I considered that, I have a spare print plate. But the full sheet magnet was a bit cheaper than dedicating a plate, and the delta-“height” lost is pretty immaterial to lasering.

Might redo that way once I abuse one of my print plates to the point I don’t think the PEI or whatever sticker coating is working well for adhesion/release.

The clips aren’t really ‘necessary’ to hold the 3 pieces of the laser heatsink plate together, although the magnet material is a little flexible. But they also have a little ‘lip’ that projects downward at front and back edges to help me align it when magneting to the heated bed.

Any chance an Artisan package would be available with just the 200W CNC module for us early adopters that have upgraded along the way? A bit of a price break to show support would be appreciated. Setting up my SM 2.0 as a single use machine and moving to the Artisan for multipurpose use would work for me if I don.t have to double purchase all the compatible items.

Fully agree, this seems like the best solution. The only other way might be a buy back scheme, which would be difficult to impliment in smaller markets with limited local support.

1 Like

Where does the expectation of having to get a discount on a new product come from?

2 Likes