We haven’t forgotten 2.0 owners! Provide some thoughts on the backward compatibility of Artisan

Kickstarter, I’d imagine. The Snapmaker 1 and 2 were both backed that way.

I find the attitude of some here extremely outrageous.

I mean you have a product co-financed and received what was promised or not?

• 10 watt laser
  • Rotary module
  • Air filter
  • Dual extruder (tba)

So why do you now think you will get another discount on a new device?

You have bought a product that has certain specifications, which obviously (otherwise you would not have bought it) met your requirements.

If the workspace or performance of individual modules was not enough from the start, why did you buy the device?

I bought the A350T including case + modules only 2 months ago. Am I pissed now because I spent >3000€ and now the successor device was announced? No! Because it is a super device that meets my requirements, otherwise I would not have bought it.

The attitude nowadays to always have to have the latest and as the owner of a predecessor model to expect discounts as a matter of course is really ridiculous.

5 Likes
  • Dual extruder? “You have” and “tba” are mutually exclusive.
  • “You have bought a product that has certain specifications” <> “You have bought a product on promised specifications and expandability”.

More recently, the new rails were promised to be much faster than the first ones, but as far as I know, no new settings are available and, after promotion, “silent and fast” became just “silent”.

Do not get me wrong, I love my A250 (I think it is better than the A350, is in the sweet spot of the design), and Snapmaker design and material quality and service is beyond doubt in my experience. But their marketing/selling strategy is making a lot of people angry, especially those first backers/supporters that waited for many months the machine and now feel promised roadmaps (a value they paid for) were abandoned.
Another factor to consider is that many of us were absolute novices in these technologies 3 years ago, but now the user base has matured, knows the market and the features of modern systems better and has become more critical in that regard.

What I mean is that before being outraged one has to try to understand why things happen, even if you don’t share those reactions.

4 Likes

I understood that the “official” speed limit for the new modules is higher than that of the old modules, so you can go faster by just increasing print/laser speeds. I do not have the new modules (and will most likely never have them), so I cannot tell if they are indeed better in that regard, but the technical spec’s are in favour of that being true. If you mean that there are no Luban-Presets for that: well… Create your own, where’s the problem?

Regarding what was promised vs. what was delivered: I mainly agree with @Wellnice - we got what we paid for, the promise of addons is exactly that: A promise - which is subject to all the unforseeables of reality. SM delivered a number of addons (actually many that are in your screenshots), and if I’m not very wrong, I would say that many addons to come will be compatible with SM2 and Artisan - the protocols, the connectors, the pinout and most of the specs are identical, so if we look at the manual control “handwheel” or the IP camera that are shown in the screenhsots you posted, I see absolutely no reason why they should only work for Artisan. So if they ever come out, they would be stupid not to sell them to the SM2 owners - that’s money lost. I, being a kickstarter backer, feel entiteled to nothing beyond what the kickstarter campaign promised, and that is what I got, at a very decent price compared to the list price.

3 Likes

The new modules can go lot faster; you can get to 250 mm/s with 3000 mm/s2 acceleration … but the limitation is its stiffness and the platform. Myself, after the linear rail mods ( X & Y axis ) plus extra support on the z-axis together with extra bed holders, I print PLA at 250 mm/s with 3000 mm/s2 acceleration and ABS at 200 mm/s with 2000 mm/s2 acceleration ( as I have to print with closed enclosure and 40-50 degrees ambient, the steppers get too hot - looking to sort this out ). So, because of the new lead ( 20 mm vs 8 mm ) you can get faster speeds and I did not see any problem with accuracy, at least in 3D printing :slight_smile: . That’s why also the 180 mm/s from Artisan is not such a big thing to me … besides need to see it really hapenning.

1 Like

Why are you surprised by this behavior? Take a look back at the costs of the snapmaker 1 and 2 for early bird adopters on Kickstarter. Perhaps that will enlighten you.

Also, welcome to the forums. If you haven’t poked around and found all the lingering technical issues surrounding the SM2 A350 modules, perchance it would be wise to understand some of us never were able to get the SM350 to print anything larger than the SM250. Not to mention things like camera mode which every once in a while break after a new firmware release.

I’m glad your machine is working well! Us early adopters paid the price to adopting early, one might say.

1 Like

@Jade I would love to see the quick swap for the toolheads and SM2.0!
The workplatforms are not the problem to swap for my setup.

I really like SM2.0. I even purchased upgraded linear modules and printing module earlier this year as initial linear modules were very loud.

I understand that reverse compatibility is a (big) problem, especially it limits design decisions a lot.

However, I have to share my disappointment that by spending about 2000 Euros for original SM2 and additional 700Euros for the upgraded modules, SM2.0 will be rather quickly forgotten.

Especially I found it quite disappointing that new product is announced after about 6/9 months after announcement of upgraded linear modules. I would not upgrade my SM2.0 if I would know that later this year new version is coming out.

I would expect some option to upgrade to get new features. Personally I am not that interested in more powerful CNC or integrated control. But I would really like to get dual extrusion(that might/hopefully arrives) and option to print new materials such as nylon - even if print size could be smaller.

If upgrade is not an option, maybe some form of trade-in of SM2.0 might be an option ?

3 Likes

It would be great to have a link to recommended print speeds. Since february 2022 the recommended “print speed is less than 40 mm/s, and the recommended travel speed is less than 80 mm/s.”
I possibly could print faster (I actually am at 60mm/s) but would be nice to have the company specification figures for the new rails in case they exist. That way, by staying below recommended values, early degradation and/or failure of the printer would not be user fault.

They recently published that: https://support.snapmaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/7319352864407-What-are-the-differences-between-Snapmaker-Artisan-and-Snapmaker-2-0- → I infer that you are “allowed” to go up to 100 mm/s (I was surprised, since it indeed is more than they said earlier. And also that they did not differentiate between Standard/F/T modules)

Did you modify the linear modules itself in any way? Like changing the plastic nuts against metal ones? Did you ever need to tighten the modules?

I regularly run at 100-120 mm/s with standard accel (old modules), and one of my Y-modules is starting to degrade (need to unmount it yet to understand what exactly is happening - might be that I just need to re-tighten the bearings).

Right, I know that table. 100 mm/s is the specs max speed and I think this has been the same from the beginning. Note that there is no separate data for old/new rails. This is the issue I am raising. Also note that max speed is different from recommended speed and the difference is relevant: “yes, you can arrive to 100 but if you stay more than 5 min at that speed hell doors will open, spirits will escape free and a small kitten will lose his preferred toy”. .bad word. the spirits! I have expend ~2000€ on it, I do not want a little cat to be unhappy for a second!
I like to fiddle, I can add, substract and modify parts to get more speed, but the snapmaker is an expensive instrument so I expect the vendor to give objetive normal operation specification figures from the start for that price (numbers, numbers) I can reproduce or ask for a replacement otherwise, not just “bigger”, “better”, “faster” marketing stuff.

1 Like

Full agreement here - Snapmaker is way too elusive if it comes to hard facts. I would very much appreciate if they would be more embracing to the community. I am very much convinced that an active partnership with the community would be of mutual benefit.

1 Like

I’m using the new modules and the carriages are different, look better and tighter. I just made sure the lubricant is still efficient. With the old modules, I also was printing 120 mm/s , did not have more challenges but had to tighten the carriages ( there’s a guide on Snapmaker to do so )

According to Snapmaker, 120 mm/s is the endurance test they’ve made and 100 mm/s the maximum speed recommended for everyday use. It also makes sense, usual stepper motors can reach about 1000 rpm, and the old modules have 8 mm lead, thus the maximum speed would be 1000 rpm x 8 mm/rev x 60s /min = 133.33 mm/s. If you make similar number with the 20 mm lead, then you get 333.33 mm/s , which the is limited by other means.

Please elaborate.
Because from everything else I’ve seen/read there were no changes made to the design other than changing the lead screw size. It was mostly a change to the stepper controllers.

-S

In the link you provide there is nothing related to Snapmaker endurance test or recommended speed. There are several post on that thread from parachvte but he doesn’t say anything about any endurance test. Thread is from 2020 so they could not being talking about new rails.
Snapmaker officially recommended working conditions (as of february 2022) were those in my previous link.

Hi. Is there any information when we will get the dual extruder for our SM2?

1 Like

I totally agree, I bought SM 2.0 at around 1.800 €, bought rotary module, 10W-Laser, new linear modules, power supply, emergency button - guess I spent sth like 3000+ € all in all… like you said, if I should have known about the Artisan, maybe I would have saved my money for the new parts …
I would prefer an option to upgrade like buying a “naked” Artisan - Ground Plate, Power control and linear modules… so I can use my rotary module, laser, 3d-head, CNC-head I already bought.
If one wants, he could buy the more powerful CNC-module or the dual extruder optionally - just an idea… Question is, are the quick change solutions working with the SM2.0 modules as well?! I do not use CNC that much, but having a 40x40 cm laser workspace would be great for me…
otherwise I’d support the idea of “trade-in”

I agree on all terms and would like to see it as well
I use a printed quick change solution for the toolheads. My work platforms are modified - I bought another print bed sticker (the first one was kinda wasted) and used the old one to glue the laser bed on it - working fine and fast for me