Vector engraving vs. Line-filled Engraving

Hallo y’all
As the title suggest I’m a little unsure what the difference is between some of the settings in Luban, and I hope you can help :slight_smile:

What is the difference between “Line-filled engraving with “on-path” method” and “Vector engraving with the “on-path” method”. The both seems to engrave the outline of the object?

Same question goes the the fill method.

If I got text and use the “fill method” I find that the “vector engravning” setting still fills the letters with lines, but it burns them way harder than the Line-filled setting.

Yeah in short: what is the differences between the two settings. I do see some differences between them, but as described I also find some of the settings similar.

Kind Regards
Jonas

I tried to understand what exact settings you mean, but I cannot reproduce what you’re describing. Can you send screenshots?

To see the difference, I recommend to preview the GCode and zoom in very closely - you should be able to spot the differences.

In general: Vector mode means that the laser follows the paths in the object, while line modes rasterize the object and “scan” the raster line by line. Typically, that is visible as “steps” along the engraving. Whenever possible I use vector for best results. The fill mode of Luban is to my knowledge limited to lines or dots, both with some disadvantages. That was one of the main reasons I invested in Lightburn, which has a “follow shape” filling mode, that I like much more.

Hello Hauke
I understand your struggle. I did not explain myself very well.
I do agree with you, and your explanation is identical to my assumptions. However I still feel that there are settings that are identically so I have made these screen shots:

This is the fill settings. The settings is above the visualization of the g-code respectively. I do see some differences here due to the raster/vector approach. However: the laser power is at 100% on default in the "vector Engraving setting. In this project I have reduced to 20% as 100% did not engrave but cut all the way through the material…

This is the On the Path setting. Here I do not see any differences at all.

Kind regards Jonas

Hi Jonas,
Now I follow you, thanks!
So, what’s written under “Preset” is just a name for a collection of settings, but it is actually the same settings you can then edit, thereby diverging from the preset. So if you pick “Vector Engraving”, the “Method” will be pre-filled with “on the path”. If you then change to “Fill”, it is in no way different from picking the Preset “Line-Filled Engraving”, which has “Fill” already pre-selected. The other settings (work speed, laser power…) differ still as you can see in the screenshots.

Consider Presets as a starting point which you may or may not fine-tune to your reality.

Thank you! It make so much sense now :slight_smile:
Of cause that’s how it should be interpreted!