Underextrusion(possibly centered around rounded objects

I have run into a difficult issue with my snapmaker and can’t seem to resolve it as the issue sporadically happens on prints. Prints will come out with inconsistent extrusion on the outer walls of the print, specifically on the right sides of the print. It’s seemingly very random and I can’t tie it down to a specific cause.

My initial thoughts on the issue are that it’s possibly a cooling issue since I have the enclosure. I left the wide door a third open and turned on the exhaust fan hoping to circulate more air to the side of the issue. That didn’t resolve it. Perhaps it’s a filament tension issue with the enclosures altered location of the filament reel?

I have noticed a small crack in the air shroud of the print head, perhaps that tiny crack could cause issies with how efficient the head is able to cool the filament as it’s being laid down?

I’m at a loss and looking for some helpful input on what causes this kind of issue, and if anyone is having this issue, with or without the enclosure installed! thank you so much for your time and help!

Here’s a picture(sorry for low quality I am not able reach my printer right now) showing the issue on 1 object in a series print.

Since those are small parts can you watch the entire object print? That would be the most direct way of tracking down if it’s filament binding or some other issue.

But it’s probably underextrusion rather than temperature causes.

Have you calibrated the E-steps of your extruder?

Extruder E-steps Calibration

That was actually one of the first things I did back when this issue arised! I’ll make sure to try another estep calibration once I’m able to access my printer just to ensure that the setting is absolutely correct. I believe I’ve gone through estep calibration 3 times since this issue has arised to no avail unfortunately. Previous calibrations revealed that the value was slightly off, but no where near bad enough to cause these kinds of issues in my experience.

I am aware that updated firmware does change these values, but I have not undergone a firmware update since calibrating the esteps.

While e-steps is the obvious first step for probably 50% or more of issues on here, the small object to the far left of your picture looks like it’s good enough quality that if you have already calibrated e-steps you’re likely fine in that regard.

Thank you for the suggestion I’ll definitely stand by next time I print and see if its an immediately visible issue. I have had one or two filament binds, but to my knowledge it hasn’t happened during prints exhibiting these missing walls. Always worth a second look though!!

That’s great to know. I definitely got used to doing estep calibrations quite often after this issue popped up.

If your e-steps is consistently in the range of 230-240ish then that is in line with what everyone else is finding.

That sounds about right from what I remember. I’ll confirm my e steps after a fresh calibration in the next day. Thanks for the thoughts Brent!

If you ever suspect a partial clog you can try a cold pull

It looks like if there ever was a partial clog causing the underextrusion it resolved itself shortly after. If that was the case it probably was bits of ground filament from the extruder spur gear working too hard against binding filament, or too much feed pressure from a Z height issue, or similar.

Pay close attention to the first layer and make sure it’s not being extruded very thin as that would potentially contribute to feed pressure issues if there’s consistent overextrusion possibly leading to a clog.

I have never attempted a cold pull, but I’ll put that on the list as well. Just before this print I used cleaning filament that was included with some reels of pla I had bought earlier. Seemed to do a very nice job of cleaning it out but I don’t have much experience with that. I’m not sure how effective “cleaning” filament actually is.

I did so because the print head failed to load a filament. The gears kept clicking, and the filament would not load any further into the hotend. There was some leftover filament in the hotend from a previous print. I suppose it is a possibility that some of that is still in there, causing a partial clog.

Fortunately I spent the last 3 months attempting to work with SM support getting my bed to actually print level. My first layers have a nice squish to them, and are neither too thin or too thick. However I’ll do a test print in the next day and post showing the quality of the first layer to ensure that it is in fact good quality.

1 Like

Update to the issue I have printed the same object that had issues before, this time with a different filament, and from a different gcode file. I had sliced the object so I could focus on that specific object instead of waiting for the entire print. The object has come out nearly perfect, showing no signs of exterior wall underextrusion.

I do notice quite a large change in the amount of tension coming from the filament reel depending on which way the hotend moves. It could explain why I usually see the underextrusion on the right side of objects, as the hotend is pulling away from the filament reel, tightening the filament.

So my next move is to test if it’s an issue with specific filaments or not, and pay close attention the the tension in the filament line.

I’ve included a picture of my first layer and an image of the completed object with no deformities. My e steps are calibrated to near perfection resting at 233.2. I confirmed the accuracy by testing 100 mm of extruded filament and found it to be accurate.

I appreciate the assistance provided! Thanks for giving me a dorection to go in! Let me know of anyone else has similar issues to this!

What setup are you using for your filament feed?

A lot of people have had problems with stock mounting outside the enclosure.
Quite a few ways they’ve dealt with this.

-S

I’m starting to think that might be my issue. I am using the stock mount on the enclosure. Looking at it, it seems it can easily optimized by printing a mount that shifts the angle of feeding by about 45 degrees while moving the filament reel away from the enclosure and down a bit. I could design this part pretty easily, but if there are other options I might pursue those as well!

My solution was a length of ptfe tube to act as a smooth guide.

In addition to a guide mounted on the tower

I wrapped the inside of the tower guide with a vinyl sticker to decrease friction further.

Several people have moved the mount position into the enclosure and that works as well. Several more people have moved the mount on top of the enclosure and added a hole stright down - that seems to also work really well.

Beatiful and simple. I’ll have to give that a try, thank you! I always thought the angle at which the filament is fed to the printer with the enclosure had a small bit of… jank to it.

1 Like

I kept mine inside the enclosure. Just lowered the stock guide a couple screw holes. Just needed to print a guide so the filament doesn’t get wrapped around the z-pillar.

I did add bearings to spool shaft so it turns easier.

-S