Tried to do my 2nd 11x11 calibration - it caused head crash?!

Hi I have previously used the steps bellow from this article to do an 11x11 calibration ok.
I made my enclosure yesterday so wanted to recalibrate as things had moved position on table etc.

G28 ;Home
G1029 P11 ;Set auto-level mesh to 11x11
G1029 S ;Save auto-level mesh configuration
G1029 A ;Start auto-leveling

To my surprise this time the bed did not move to the home position it moved to fully forward extended after the G28 and then when i started the calibration command the head came all the way down to the back left corner and pressed hard against it, pushing the corner down by around ~5 mm. (or maybe it was less, but it was worrying deformation)

I started a 5 x5 calibration from the android screen - that put bed into the right location (i also confirmed the sensors detected the pallet knife).

1. any ideas what i did wrong?
  2. is there a gcode command equivalent (or button in UI) i can emit during a calibration to say ‘!!stop!!’ what you are doing and go home?
  3. is this type of thing enough to permanently warp my platform or heated bed?

ok after a power off i tried exactly the same commands and this time it worked. what changed?
I did original 11 x 11 calibration.
I did a 5 x 5 calibration.
Then powered off.
Then powered back on.
The did this 11 x 11 calibration that’s working ok.

Also before i did the 11x11 i had looked in the dev menu, i didn’t change anything - but be be warned it may put machine in odd state (not entirely unexpected).

Consider the issue solved for now.

1 Like

thanks for confirming it wasn’t my stupidity.

1 Like

Do they have a bug open for this / aware if it?

the quick fix would be for the calibration code in the controller too read the co-ords wouldn’t it - and then if not where expected reset?

ok, could this also explain the one time when i came back to printer after a week having changed nothing and it decided to print the first 3 layers smooshed into the bed…

no, it was powered off and i see now, this is only if its not powered off. so diff issue.

Crud this issue is back. Can someone sanity check me and find if i am doing something wrong?

I just tried to do a 11 x 11 calibration again from cold (aka powered off) , twice (I haven’t done any prints in a few days) using the commands in my op.
both times it failed to move the build platform to the correct location (my platform was towards front of machine).

So i initiated a 3 x 3 from the touch screen to see what would happen - it correctly moved the plate to the right starting position. i didn’t do last manual point and didn’t save.

Then tried an 11 x 11 - same issue

Powered off again then initiated 3 x 3 from touchscreen, platform moved to where I expected and I did last manual point and saved.

Then tried an 11 x 11 - same issue, the G28 moves the plate to front of machine and starting a calibration doesn’t move it to right starting point.

Am i being stupid? i am using the same commands as at the beginning of the OP.

this is the location where i switch off the printer because that very first time the head pushed down on the board doing the calibration in this spot. It should be at the front of the board, not the back…

ok i am stupid

if i let it get lower than this it does moves the bed correctly, i don’t understand why i could swear it moved the bed first on my first and third 11 x 11 calibration, guess i am mis-remembering.