Topographical Map 3D Printing Problem - Printer somehow MOVES/PUSHES the pad and prints off-kilter

Hello All:

I am hoping the someone is super talented and can help me with a little problem I am having. I have tried printing a 3D Topographical mountain. Unfortunately, when printing in larger scale, somehow the Extruder head pushed the entire map/pad and then tries to continue printng off-kilter (or misaligned with the original design).

It worked fine when printing on a smaller scale. However, when I enlarged the scale to almost the entire surface area print pad size, after 70% of the job was done, the extruder head somehow move the entire design and then kept trying to print off-kilter and then just started printing strings.

The attached pictures show the smaller scale vs larger scale. Also highlighting how the entire print somehow moved and the printing kept print on top.

Has anyone encountered this same problem and managed to fix it.

Is this a problem with the printing, design, or something else?

Use the Z-hop settings in your slicer.

And a brim.

What you’re describing is usually the result of the tip of the nozzle striking the print, so either the nozzle is unexpectedly low or the top of the print is unexpectedly high. Use z-hop like @Mxbrnr said, and check that you’re not overextruding, the nozzle isn’t creating drips or blobs, and the print isn’t warping, any of which could cause bits of it to stick up.

It isn’t likely to be to be an issue with the model unless the problem happens in the exact same place every time.

1 Like

Look at the bottom of the print. Are the corners warping/lifting up? I’d bet that’s what is causing the model to get struck by the print head and moved.

Rectangles are really tough to keep from wanting to warp. The advice to activate Z-hop will get you some relief, but you may also as someone else indicated need a brim to help keep the corners held down.

1 Like

Slow the print down. The bed wobbles a bit when it’s moving fast.

I am using Luban 4.7 that came with my snapmaker printer… Where is the z-Hop control in Luban?

They bury it up in the material settings now. (This is 4.4, but I assume they haven’t changed it again.)

I’m having a similar issue using cura but it ripped the print head out of my dual extruder. Hoping that just z-hop is all I’m needing. Thanks for the tips. I’ll reply when I test this fix.

This is my solution to that problem: Magnetic print sheet fixation - #10 by Hauke