Surface artifacts in walls... problems continue after E & K adjustment

Hi there,

I’ve been having some pretty consistent issues with my A350 throughout software, filament, printer assemblies, and various heat levels… after troubleshooting thru those, I stumbled on the E & K calibrations, and was hopeful that would fix me, but I’m still having issues.

Out of the box, I tried to go directly to slicing with Simplify3D as I’m most comfortable with this software, but I quickly experienced these issues, so I figured something was up with my profile & decided to go back to Luban.

I have loaded all kinds of filaments with varying temperatures and, generally, they all have the same experience/look in surface artifacts.

In some examples discussing how important E & K calibration is on the Snapmaker series, the issues others are having look just like what I was experiencing. The video I used guiding how to do the E & K calibration is close to what my prints are like:

(note he used a 0.8mm nozzle in this)

I performed the calibrations and did have some changes, but generally still bad prints following changes. My E was significantly different, which gave me home. My E was originally 212.21 & it underextruded the 100mm by about 3.97mm. My E is now 220.98. I did repeat this to ensure it was right, and I came right in around 20mm left with this new E.

Originally, my K was 0.04, and I increased it to 0.06… I figured my issue must mostly be the extruder then.

North/south walls:
Similar results, not as bad underextrusion, but weird pattern/zits

West wall:
The worst by far. Lots of weird underextrusion?? that zig zig pattern is visible & similar on all other walls as well.

East facing wall:
best quality on this piece so far, still rough where it went to the other part. On the drawer, this part looked great, other than should’ve had support.

Any thoughts on how I can remedy these issues?

Why would underextrusion only be on the west facing wall?

Completed piece

I am a new user and am limited by the pictures I can upload.

Better detail of the issues on the same exact gcode except for temps & filament:

Are you using the filament holder in the default location? People with and without the enclosure have complained that it can bind up, which generally leads to location specific underextrusion. There are several projects to make better filament guides and reels posted to the forum. If you print one, you’ll want to babysit it so that it prints nicely :slight_smile:

The repetitive patterns suggest something loose in at least one linear module - that would be my assumption. Check for something wobbling, or perhaps dirt.
The underextrusion I’d suggest to play around with retraction settings perhaps, since you already said you did E-Steps… For me it looks like E-Steps wrong still…
But admittedly, difficulkt to judge from the pictures…

@clewis thanks for the suggestion about its placement - I just tried moving it to the prescribed location mounted on the printer and the results are repeating

@Hauke I’m gonna go ahead and check my screws and repeat the E-steps. I’ll report back

Thanks again!