Superhero coasters

My sister wanted me to make a set of coasters for her and my nephew. He likes super heroes so this is what I have. These aren’t fully finished yet. I still want to engrave a grayscale image of them together in the base and everything will need a coat of some sort of finish.

Coasters are made from 1/2 x 4 poplar and the base is 1 x 4 and pretty sure the wood is maple. Can’t remember because I bought the wood a long time ago. The posts are 3/4 x 3/4 oak outside corner molding. Still amazes me how well the SM laser does with fine details. Those silhouettes are only 14 mm wide

7 Likes

And these were made with the 200mW Laser ?

No the 1600. But these could easily be made with the 200. I made a few sets of coasters with the 200 before I got the 1600. You just have to go a little slower with the 200 to get a good burn

2 Likes

Awesome, my son would love these! Can’t get there yet, though: Got mine today and I can get the 200 to engrave, but can’t get ANYTHING to work on the 1600. It is just stuck on “Detecting…” Did you do anything not in the tutorial vids or manuals to get started? Many thanks!

No. From what I remember it was a simple matter of attaching the 1600 to the frame and plugging in the cable and it worked

Yeah, since I posted, I’ve tried everything and it just won’t detect it. I’m thinking my 1600 is a lemon. Support hasn’t responded to my requests yet, either. Thank you anyway. Your work is awesome!

Sure thing. Just want to point out that last year during the month of February the SM team mentioned something about people taking time off for Chinese holidays (Chinese New Year I think). So if support is slow, that could be the reason

Good luck and I hope you get everything squared away

Thanks again, I appreciate it!