So I was looking for a first project to use my new A250 rotary module. I decided to make some stars wars themed chess pieces. I used the following slt files from Thingiverse Star Wars Chess Set Revised by Anubis_ - Thingiverse.
I first updated Luban to version 22.214.171.124 snapmaker
The process was very simply. Set the material size. Import the stl. Resize and position. Then process.
To try out carving I used the cylindrical epoxy tooling board provided with the unit.
I setup the rotary module, which is very well made and secured by 14 screws to the waste board plus 4 screws to secure the module itself. I decided to secure the waste board with only the edge screws to the SM2 baseplate so I can remove the waste board without having to take off the rotary module. I plan to purchase a second waste board to speed up switching between 2.5d CNC and 3D CNC. I’m not sure if that is recommended, but it worked for me so far.
After updating the SM2 firmware to V1.12 I was ready to go.
The calibration is straightforward determining the X1 (left limit) X2 (right limit) Y and Z limits of the material.
When starting the carving process setting the work origin is a little counter intuitive. The drill bit is positioned with the tip in the center of the material on the Z and X axis and the drill touching the material on the Y axis. Due to the camber on the drill that potentially leads to the top part of the model not being carved as can be seen when you run a boundary check. I didn’t use the tailstock for this model as it wouldn’t fit with material that was 70mm length. According to the installation guide and tutorial video it should fit, I probably need to check I didn’t mount the rotary module too far forward.
Carving took ca 2hr40mins and the results are very good. I recommend an enclosure as the epoxy tooling board produces a lot of dust. Also wear a face mask when cleaning the SM2 afterwards, one surgical mask provided with the rotary module.
The second attempt was with a 40mm diameter hardwood rod, cut to 70mm length. Results were not quite as good as with the epoxy modelling resin, but still good, and easier to clean.
The carving process is pretty noisy. I’m thinking about sound proofing the enclosure in the future.