Spool holder replacement

I damaged my spool holder rod (don’t ask how) and I was wondering if there was a replacement I could buy? I just need the middle part (the rod), not the screws or the other thing. Thanks

How damaged is it? There are a few alternative spool holders on thingiverse that don’t need the rod, but printing them requires some ability to feed filament. You might be able to print Hawke Filament Perch for Snapmaker 2.0 by ahawkes - Thingiverse with some babysitting.

That does require some extra parts, but they should be available at a local hardware store. I do have some concerns about mounting that much weight on the Z axis, so I don’t know that I’d use it with an A150. I think you could mount it where the existing spool holder is currently located, but I’m not sure.

You can email support and ask to buy the part from them. That’s the process for replacing parts that aren’t available on the store. It’s kind of slow though, and they ship from China.

If you’re in a hurry, you should be able to go to a local hardware store and pick up a long bolt of the same or slightly smaller diameter with two nuts, then bolt it to the existing rod holder (one nut on either side of the mount to lock it in place). It won’t look pretty, but the plastic sleeve will ensure that the spool can still move.

1 Like

It’s just that bearings don’t fit on it anymore and some of them got stuck. I don’t really see any visible damage on it but something must have happened because nothing fits. I like your suggestion with the bolt I’ll try to find one, thanks!

That could just be temperature related. If you’re trying to mount bearing on the rod, stick the rod in the freezer for 30 minutes. That could shrink it enough that you can slip the bearings on, and then they’ll stay in place once everything warms up. No guarantees, but it’s a quick and easy test.

1 Like

I replaced the SM spool-holder as some of my filament was on wider spools than the tiddley little arm could handle. And I really don’t like the strain a 1kg spool puts on the frame.

This is the one I chose. No extra parts needed, the whole thing is 3d printed, even the ‘bearing’ wheels that allow it to turn. I needed to make one tiny change to the arm that sticks out; the exit angle is all wrong for where I’d sited it on a shelf above the printer and I didn’t need the 3mm filament hole nor the filament cleaner-lubricator that’s given in that model. Apart from that, an absolutely brilliant design.

You’ll still need a temporary fix for the existing one though while you print the replacement!

1 Like

How about this one. You can try to print it by yourself.

Link

1 Like

I actually made this one already! I love it. Except my springs broke and I tried to fix it with super glue…let’s just say it didn’t go very well. Anyways, I’m probably going to print a new one when I can find the print time :slight_smile:

1 Like