Speed test tower settings in cura

I notice the change at z function in cura says in brackets after it experimental so I don’t know if it just doesn’t work or if I’m doing something wrong.

I used it just fine to change the temperature at certain layers for a temp tower, but when trying to change print speed it seems to do the opposite to what it should!

I have a speed tower model that I’ve set the print speed to 20mm/s to start then increasing by 5mm/s every 40 layers. It prints the first section as expected running at 20mm/s for inner walls and infill and 10mm/s for the outer walls and bottom layers. But when the first change comes in, instead of getting faster it starts going much slower. It’s only printing at 5 and 2mm/s!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Print speed is a percent. Are you entering 25 not realizing it’s 25% which would be 5 and 2.5mm/s?

That could explain it!

I know changing the speed via the touchscreen is done as a percentage, but as you set the speed as a value in cura, I assumed that changing the value in cura would also be done as a value.

I’ll try again working out of as a percentage.

Do I need to set each change as a percentage of the original print speed, or as a percentage of what it was changed to in a previous step?

So if it starts at 20mm/s, to change to 30mm/s would be 150%. Then to change to 40, would it be 200% (from the original 20) or 133% (from the now 30mm/s)?

1 Like

Hi, I am trying to do a speed tower and I’ve got the same questions. Did you ever figure out whether the % relates to the last step or the original speed?

It’s from the initial speed. So if you set your print speed to 50mm/s, then set each change to 20%, 40%, 60&, 80% and 100%, you’ll get print speeds of 10mm/s, 20mm/s, 30mm/s, 40mm/s and 50mm/s.