Something for Snapmaker engineering to consider

This is a link to something the developers could consider.
Laser sintering has been around for a while. The following article could extend that to FDM processing.

What if, there is a laser in the nozzle head to post heat or pre heat the bead to ensure better layer adhesion?

It could be aimed at the old layer just before the new bead is applied, or between adjacent beads.
It doesn’t have to be very powerful, maybe even less than 1 watt, but needs some way to aim it properly.
Food for thought!!

[Fine-tuned Laser Beam Eliminates Thermal Problems in 3D Printing | Machine Design]

1 Like

Hi jgb, thanks for your advice! I’ve passed your message to our R&D team. :blush:

If they are interested, I have an idea on how to do it. The main problem to solve is how to aim the laser 360 deg around the nozzle as the head changes direction during a print.
jgb

1 Like

So, based on the dirth of a reply, I guess no one in R&D is interested.
I figured out how to do it, by the way.

How you do it?

Nothing personal, but I won’t say at this time.
Waiting for R&D to respond.

It’d be nice if they finally released those long-promised DIY toolheads - you could implement it yourself and then sell the design.

Yeah. I really need a detailed drawing of the 3dP head. I’m getting by with estimated dimensions from a few photos.
Or wait till I get my 350 and measure it myself.

jgb

https://github.com/3devangelist/Snapmaker-2.0-CAD-models

EDIT: Doesn’t have the 3DP head for some reason - thought it did. The main concern though is probably the CAN bus and its proprietary cables.

Thanks for that. But it was all old models of heads, so not very useful for what I need.