Snapmaker Ray + Lightburn

John over at Lightburn has made a thread on the Lightburn forums on using the Ray. It includes profiles and setup. The thread can be found here;

While I don’t have the Ray or 20/40W module, I figured I’d share it over here.

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I wonder how far lightburn team went with their artisan, that they purchased.

Hi,

I am using the Ray now for a few days and I am really happy with it. It works fine, quality is perfect and the interaction with Luban is good as well.

However, I decided to operate it also with Lightburn as that offers a couple of important features which I need. The operation with Lightburn works fine as well but there are still a few improvements possible:

The exhaust fan continues running for an unlimited time after a job is done. It should stop after a defined time.

The sensor for the enclosure (open/closed) can not be used with Lightburn.

Sending the laserhead to a defined position of the workspace does not work - at least on my machine.

Maybe that can be solved in the near future. It would make a great machine even better.

Many thanks and kind regards
Franz

Thank You. I was able to make some first Test Cuts today using lightburn thanks to your post. Luban after trying it seems like a mistake. Confusing with number of windows and whole PROCEDURE to make simple cut. Which never happened) With Lightburn I was able to load up the design / test and than Perform Homing, Framing, and Cutting of course.

“G10 L2 P1 X0 Y-400” inside the Lightburn-Console will set the correct offset of the coordination system (permanently), so you can use homing and absolute positioning.
You can use “G10 L2 P1 X0 Y0” to change back to the standard offset of the coordination system (i have no idea if Luban uses these offsets).

Many thanks aluebber,

my origin is at the moment at x31, y0. I don’t know why. With this setup I can not use the ful work area of 600x400.

I assume your command would correct this offset as well ?

Thank you and kind regards
Franz

Hi,
this will set the origin 0,0 to the front left corner. if you have an offset maybe its because the red lasercross? You can turn that off. If I have turned this on and use absolute coordinates it always will trigger the x-axis-endstop. I dont use the red lasercross anymore but the laser for framing.
Best regards
Arne

Hi Arne,

I have a separate offset for the laser cross which I still use. The offset I mean is for the workarea. If I send the head to the origin it always stops at x31,y0. I assume that it comes from my original setup with Luban, which was in some other points not really useful either. The reason could of course have been my own mistakes.

I will try your commands and feed back then.

I see that you use the german dialogues - I am from Austria.

Many thanks again
Franz

Hi Franz,
ja, ich bin aus Deutschland. Poste doch mal die Konsolenausgaben von $$ und $#, vielleicht sieht man da was.
Viele Grüße
Arne

Hallo Arne,

danke, werde ich morgen probieren. Bin heute zu spät nach Hause gekommen.

Schöne Grüße
Franz

Hi,

I have now tested different positions of the table but could not find one where both the laser and the crosshairs are usable over the whole work area in x-direction. I have not yet tested the y-direction.

1. configuration:
    absolute coordinates with the origin at 0,0
    the crosshairs show the position but the laser head can not move further to the left as it is already at 0 on the x-axis. It would need another 21mm because of the offset between laser and crosshairs.

The right corner at 600,0 works for both the laser and the crosshairs.

1. configuration:
    user origin at 21,0 (offset for the crosshairs)
    the left side works fine. Both the crosshairs as well as the laser can reach/cut a square with the outer corner at 0,0.
    in this configuration the laser can cut a square on the right side with the outer corner at 600,0 but the crosshairs can not show this position as the head would have to move further to the right, what is not possible because of the frame (resp. linear drive).

My conclusion so far is that I can use the whole work area but only with the laser, not with the crosshairs.

Do I make a misstake with my configuration ? Is it possible to setup the machine so that both work over the whole work area ?

Many thanks
Franz

Arne I think it makes sense to switch back to english so that everybody can join the discussion

Hi Franz,
All correct, thats why i don’t use the red laser but the blue laser at 0,5-1% for manual positioning. Or absolute coordinates and framing. You have to turn off the offset as shown in the machine settings if u want to use absolute positioning.

Best regards
Arne

Hi Arne,

thank you, I have set it now with home at 0, 400 and origin at 0,0. In order to be able to use the left corner of the work area I have set the user origin at 21,0. Otherwise the laser does not reach the left corner.

I have used absolute positioning until now with the offset turned on. I understand now that the laser reaches the left corner at 0,0 without moving the user origin to the right if the offset is turned off ?

Step by step I beginn to understand the concept of this machine. I hope this is what you wanted me to know ?

What I don’t understand yet is the comment “or absolute coordinates and framing” ?

Many thanks and kind regards
Franz