Snapmaker / Luban CNC Depth Settings?

I’m working with 1.8mm material (acrylic), simply trying to cut out simple shapes. I’ve finally worked out settings that work without melting the material… but still having an issue I can’t seem to resolve:

When I tell Luban to cut to a depth of 1.8mm, the job only cuts about halfway through the material. I’ve been incrementally increasing test cuts, and finally found that setting to 2.4mm is nearly right; close enough that I can break the part free easily enough and cleanly.

My question is: If I set my origin correctly (nearly touching the piece) and tell Luban/Snapmaker to cut to the thickness of the material, shouldn’t that be what I get? Is there a “fudge factor” that I should add to every job, and if so, what is it? I’m working with scrap materials preparing to cut a piece for someone else, and I don’t want to ruin their materials (thicker than my scrap) trying to dial in the right settings.

Thanks,

1 Like

Not sure about your work flow…
I set the step down when creating the gcode, this means I set the origin on the top surface of my model. The machine carves along the gcode.

May share your gcode?