SM350T modifications

I’m about to set up my new A350T. I’m thinking of installing drag chains over the cables. Can anyone tell my what size to order?

Any other recommended modifications before I start?

I personally don’t think the energy chain mods are worth the effort over a good cable tie job.

Thingverse might have brackets for a type you can get locally, that’s usually the issue or you need to adapt and design/print some!

Pug

The only modification that is probably a good idea is either a reinforcement for the heated bed cable or a support for the cable. It’s susceptible to wearing out and shorting out.

I think if you have the cable bent the right way it isn’t as likely to become a problem. I just use a small bungle cord to keep it raised up. Other people have designed reinforcement for it:

There are a few other designs if you search thingiverse.
-S

1 Like

Here’s the ones that I made. All the info is included.

Here you go @david3 I posted the same type of thing about wanting to do a clean install, and got mostly people trying to talk me out of doing the things I wanted to do. Like install cable chains, filament guides and the like. So I understand you wanting to do a clean and well orgainized install.

If you want to do a clean install the cable chains are great. But they’re mostly cosmetic.
I haven’t had any wear (over a year and a half, pretty much 24/7 usage) nor seen any reports of wear on the toolhead cable. And even if there was they’re cheap and easily replaceable.
-S

@sdj544 its all cosmetic. With exception to the heated bed cable chain and reinforcement bracket, that one actually does weaken. It’s a weakness on all Cartesian printers where the bed is driven back and forth.

I’ve had my cable get caught around clamps and pulled out of the socket. Fortunately it didn’t hurt the head, just destroyed the cable. It had popped out of the little bracket that holds it. So it would protect from that. After that I added a power switch/emergency stop that I could keep within reach.
-S

I have to laugh at all of this, because it reminds me. Back in my youth, I and many of my friends were into street racing. Tricking out our cars was just what we did. I think we all had more money then sence, but that’s another issue. Anyway, most of my friends used stock standard stuff under the hood, but not me. They did rubber hoses, I did braided hoses with anodized ends. Housed all my wiring in shielded bundles, and had custom silicone wiring made to stand off from my headers. I say all that because it wasn’t needed. But man did it look cool, and brought me great joy. Same thing here. Oh by the way. 1969 Z28 Camaro RS in case anyone was curious.

4 Likes

Thanks. I have sever mobility issues so I really want to set it up once (or as close to as possible) I’ve seen posts on frayed heater bed cables. I like the printed chain brackets designed by stefix but I don’t know the dimensions of the chains. They range from 7x7mm to 10x15mm.

What size chains did you use?

I used these 10x15.