Shifted layer, hardware or software issues?

Hey guys, I was trying to print 2 different cylindrical objects and was constantly having layer shifting issues. Anyone else having the same issues or knows the cause of this?

It happened mostly just minutes into the print job but it could happen at any layer height. I failed 6 times in total.

When the shift happened I can hear some strange mechanical failure like noise from the linear module. I managed to have it recorded in this video

I was using Cura 4.8 with 100mm/s as usual. The strange thing is that in both cases when I decided that I had enough and tried sliced it again with Luban (100mm/s as well) they came out just fine, not sure if that was just a coincidence though.

I’ve done some digging and this seems to be caused by the stepper motor controller getting too hot, which doesn’t seem right because when it happened the first time I just had the machine turned on.

Could this be some sort of mechanical failure in my linear module or is it a software issue? The machine has been sitting in a cool and dry environment and have been kept clean since assembly and have never had the print head hit anything so I can’t imagine that could be the cause, but then again, I don’t want my warranty voided so I haven’t look inside yet.

I’m confused.

Export the logs to a thumb drive, upload it to a hoster of your choice and share the link here.

In general I would say 100mm/s is too fast, so the encoder looses steps.

Share your gcode too please :wink:

Thanks dude, 100mm/s is Cura’s default setting and I thought it should be fine with A350 but I’ll slow it down a bit next time and see how it goes.

And here’s the gcode in question (I keep getting an error message when I try to upload the file directly, so have to go with Goggle Drive sorry) : gcode

Your fastest movement in the posted gcode is 60mm/sek which is fine, the most sections you print with 25mm/s (i guess the outline).

Snapmaker has a directdrive extruder which is good for print quality but not as good as bowden extruders for print speed, because of the higher weight on the linear module.

If i want to get fast results i normally pint with maximum of 60mm/s, with petg.
If you tweak your machine to the maximum you will be able to get a bit faster but the most times quality is more important like speed.

1 Like

My son attempted a print on my v1 w/ travel at 100mm/s, and I could hear it jump threads, followed by seeing a layer shift.

I now use Luban’s Fast Print setting as an upper limit. It has infill and wall speed at 60mm/s, and a travel speed of 70mm/s. I haven’t had a problem since. My guess as to why Luban handles it better than Cura is related to acceleration and jerk settings, which Luban doesn’t allow you to change. I remember somebody digging through some JSON to find the values Luban sends to the CuraEngine slicer, but I don’t recall where I saw it.

1 Like

That’s weird, I must have manually adjusted the overall speed during the print.

Then it does look like I have been printing way to fast, thanks dude! I’ll lowered it to match Luban’s Fast Print settings.

btw, good to know those acceleration and jerk settings are out there, I’ll see if I can find them since Cura allows more fine tuning which I think is quite useful especially in some cases.

1 Like