Resume print job after filament ran out

Hi and Happy New Year to all.

The issue I have is the following:

• The print job (which was 64 hrs long) was controlled via Luban, i.e. the home screen on the machine’s touchscreen showed the “Disconnect” button.
  • Unfortunately (and it seems to have been a mistake) I had to switch off my laptop and when I switched it on again, it seems that I couldn’t control the job via Luban any more.
  • The print job stopped at about 90% completion due to filament running out. I inserted new filament, but cannot find a way to resume the job.
  • The touchscreen could not be accessed unless the “Disconnect” button was pressed and when I did that, the home screen appeared to start a new job, i.e. no option to resume the job.

Has anyone had the same issue? Is there a way to resume the job? It was going so well and it is a shame to leave it unfinished.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Hey @takis2003 , welcome!

Unfortunatelly you ran into a known issue.- If you print from elsewhere than the touchscreen from the machine, no filament runout or power loss functions are possible.

You have to send your gcode to the machine and print from the touchscreen!

There is no direct way of resuming your print but we could get it done by manually editing the gcode.
You have to meassure the very correct height of your last layer.

I could assist you if you send me your gcode or share it with a cloud or oneclickhoster and give me the current height of your model.

If you have meassured the height, you have to delete the previous printed lines and edit your start gcode not to drive the head to 0-0.

Let me know if i could help you by @xchrisd ,so i get a email :wink:

With the help of @xchrisd (which is very much appreciated), I was able to salvage the job with a very minor issue in that at the point (at the top drawer) where the print job stopped, the line is slightly sticking out (see photo below). Still, this was better than leaving the job unfinished and considering starting it from scratch.

At least, lesson learned. Control all jobs from the touchscreen. :wink:

Hey @xchrisd , mind if you help me as well?

I had a print job, (Mandalorian helmet) which was a 140 hour print, stop 40% of the way due to running out of filament. After loading new filament I went to resume the print, but I got an error message “unable to resume job …” (see picture). I sent the gcode over wifi and controlled the print from the screen. I don’t know how to fix it except to try your method of making the gcode for the top 60%.

I could assist you and edit your gcode if you want, I am now at work.- so later.

Meassure your very correct height of the model and share your gcode over wetransfer.
Greets Chris

Edit: I wrote a Pm to you.

Request to Snapmaker team…
In addition to showing the % completion, it would be super informative to display the current (or last) line number of the gcode that was executed. This should be really easy, especially as that is how the %-completion is calculated.

2 Likes

Hi Chris,

Would it be possible to help me resuming my print, as well like you helped others resuming their print? I already tried it and it also got to the correct height (5.56mm) but no filament came out. Obviously I messed up something. So I have the original gcode here: WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

I‘d really appreciate your help :blush:

Thanks,
Martin

Hi, here is your code:
spacer_original.gcode (6.5 MB)
There is a lot of weird movement by luban so i am not 100% sure whats the benefit by extruding a amount of x filament and travel on the next commands, but it should work.

As always, please be sure to get rid of the primed filament and be there while printing the first layer.