Resolution of the different laser modules

Hi everyone,

does somebody know the max resolution of the different laser modules (10, 20, 40W)

I can set in Luban any resolution, but it won’t make sense if i go smaller than the max. resolution of the module itself.

Wiki doesn’t give me that anwers

This page has the specs for all three high-wattage modules.

Thanks, i know this page. But it doesn’t give specific information about the possible laser resolutions.
The laser spot dimension is an indicator, but you can choose higher resolutions in the software

Unless you’re doing vector images, any resolution higher than what’s possible with a laser-dot-sized pixel is pointless because you’ll always get overlap, which means the image will probably be darker than desired. Vectors are a different story, with the dot size defining the minimum line width.

Thanks for the explanation, but that still does not answer my question.
It wont’ make any sense to set a higher resolution in the software than the laser supports. But for that you will need the native resolution independent from what you’re planning to do.

Almost all main laser manufacturers published this information.

…The laser spot size directly determines the resolution… Luban also doesn’t work in DPI to my knowledge, and instead works in line interval. Theoretically your line interval should match your dot width (along Y, X is fixed with dot width correction). You can then convert this into a DPI if you so choose, it’s just how many dots fit in an inch.

Example; the 20W has a laser spot of 0.08x0.1. Along Y should theoretically be the 0.1, but it’s close enough to assume anyway either way. You set your interval in Luban to 0.1, which means you get 10 dots per mm, multiply by 25.4, so you get a resolution of 254DPI.

Something like the 10W with it’s 0.05 x 0.2 spot, you’d have to adjust your dot width correction to the width (0.05) and your interval at your laser spot height (0.2) so the software can compensate for the oblong shaped laser to make an actual dot. The larger of the numbers dictate your resolution.

EDIT: I don’t think Luban has dot width correction, however.

EDIT2: Oh it does, that must be recent.

1 Like

That is exactly my question.

If the 40W module has a minimum resolution of 0.1 mm (i assume the laser spot size is the same) it wouldn’t make sense to set a lower resolution in Luban as it won’t deliver any more details but burn the same place twice (independent if line or dot).

If i have plenty of time, i will create a test for this.
I don’t care about DPI, if i know the max resolution, i can go with it.

The laser spot is the maximum optical resolution it can do. What exactly are you asking?

In a perfectly focused setup, going by the information given, the laser will leave, when pulsed, a 0.1mm dot. It can’t go smaller than that, that’s the max optical resolution. To get any higher resolution than that, the beam would have to be concentrated even more into a smaller spot. You cannot get a 0.05mm dot from a laser that has a spot of 0.1 in focus.

Laser reference:
1.6W: 0.2 mm × 0.3 mm
10W: 0.05mm × 0.2mm
20W:0.08mm × 0.1mm
40W:0.1mm × 0.15mm

Are you assuming the laser spot isn’t the resolution of the laser? You say you don’t care about DPI… which is literally dots per inch, or the resolution you can achieve, and with the 20W at least, that’s 251DPI or line interval 0.1mm.

Let me ask this question; What do YOU think resolution is in this case?

1 Like

My question is answered.