Problems with "getting started" projects in manual

I got my A350 just before Christmas. Assembly went fine, no problems. I started with 3D printing first. Big mess, but it was my fault… didn’t read close enough about bed leveling. Also made sure I had the 3.12 Luban and the latest firmware. Got that figured out and all is good, vase printed out beautifully!

My next attempt was Laser cutting. Got everything assembled, did the focus and camera calibrations. Loaded up Luban and pulled up the “Gift Box”, created the Gcode, and started lasering. OOOPS! ended up with little tiny cut-outs, about 6mm square! Went back to 3D printing, that’s going great! Tried a few days later to do the laser sample with my second sheet of 1.5mm plywood. Did the camera capture method. Figured out that you have to drag the size handles on the sample file to the corners of the wood sheet. All looking good, until I sent it to the workspace and hit start on the touchscreen. Then it started cutting the lower left piece about halfway up the last piece of plywood. Well, out of plywood now.

Decided to try CNC cutting. Got the machine all set up to CNC. Loaded up Luban and clicked on the “Case Library” (where the sample/tutorial files live) and loaded the CNC phone holder file. OOPS, it’s about the same size in Luban as the laser gift box. I did find a reference way back in the section about Clamping the material to the CNC platform that said that "the size of the provided model is 139.2 X 141.5mm, so I set the size to that in Luban. Set the work origin to the middle of the material, generated Gcode did a final work origin and run boundary, and started cutting. It completed without any real problems until I tried to assemble it.
It does NOT fit together. the two uprights go together but the locking piece is too small and the holes won’t fit on the tabs. The thing snapped in half while I was trying to get the locking tab in place. Since the parts do not fit I can assume that the sizing was not set correctly.

Well out of samples for laser and CNC.

Later,
Miike

1 Like

Hi Mike
Likewise, just received an A250 in the New Year. 3D printing is working well, despite the heated bed not working (they’re replacing the controller).

I had the same problem as you with the CNC sample. I noticed in the getting started guide, p83 that it shows a size of 190mm x 190mm (presumably larger on the A350), under Configurations, so I typed this in. I also was careful to Run Boundary. Unfortunately I managed to snap the flat end mill when adjusting the Z (height)!

Eventually managed to cut using the ball end mill, but the end result wasn’t brilliant. Like you, it didn’t fit together properly.

I think the lesson I’ve learned is to follow the old saying, measure it, then measure it again.

Good luck with your other projects,

John