Good evening. I seem to have issues processing SVG files in Luban 3.5 and 3.8 that originated in Fusion 360 as sketches. I’ve tried exporting them from Fusion using the Shaper plugin, as well as dxf files put through Kabeja, and even resaving as different svg formats with Inkscape. It always turns out the same (blocky).
The SVG shapes show up fine in Luban until I hit the “process” button in the laser editor, then any rounded lines get squared off; circles turn into triangles, etc. Very frustrating.
I seem to be able to download SVGs and import and process them fine. It has to be something to do with how Luban is processing the original export from Fusion specifically. The SVGs appear fine in all other SVG programs.
Anyone had similar issues or have suggestions? I use Fusion 360 for everything, this is a critical part of my workflow. Any help is appreciated.
Edit: After much fumbling around I was able to export from Fusion as dxf and import into Luban as dxf. It then processed correctly. The main downside of this workflow is it takes quite a while to cloud process a dxf export, but at least it works.
Hello @RobotChicken; I have had variable results with Luban accepting and processing .svg files. I have also had many files produce the blocky appearance in Luban. I have used several means of converting and processing .svg files because I use a variety of graphics packages. The results have all been this; that although Luban may handle some.svg files, regardless of how they are generated, it has generally been a poor option to use.
I now use two different strategies: The strategy I use when I have had to use Luban is to create an image in any one of my image editors at the exact size I intend to use it. I then convert the image to a .jpeg image which remains at the size that it will be used. There is no issue with the image becoming pixellated because it is used at a 1:1 ratio with the original vector graphic creation. This works in the same way, if I import an .svg file. I always make it the desired size as a vector file then convert it to .jpeg.
Given the fact that the .jpeg file format is destructive with every instance of saving it, this approach works where I want to process a file only once. I always keep the vector file so that I may reprocess it at a later date. This may be a time consuming process but I make no assumptions about Luban and its processing abilities and just adopt this approach with all .svg files.
My second approach is to use some other software which is known to be capable. I use Carbide Create, which is enjoyable to use and is available FREE. It is not cloud based, is also cross platform and it handles .dxf and .svg files without difficulty. I am using it from a Mac with SM1 and I find it more than sufficient for my immediate needs. It locates the files where you want them to be, specifies the toolpath zero point and can group and nest component files and additionally, it handles all of my Mac fonts beautifully.
@jepho, not sure if you saw my edit. I was able to get SVGs working. Thank you for your suggestions.
No worries. After 6 months use, I can say quite categorically that I am not a fan of Luban. It is good to know that you have found a workflow that works for you. (I missed your edit)
Sorry for the late reply.
Could you please send me the SVG file so that I can locate the problem. SVG is very complex, and we are dedicated to solve the problems.
@Edwin, just sent you a few files.
I’m also interested in a solution to this. I have the same problem with SVGs generated from SketchUp. They look fine coming in but when Luban processes it, all of my circles turn to squares, curves turn to polygons. It’s like there is some piece of data in the SVG telling it to do this. I feel like it is in the exporting method but I’ve not found anything that makes much difference to Luban.