Problem with the Dual Extrusion Module on my Artisan

I was printing a lot of stuff today, with PLA+ in the left extruder and PETG in the right one. When I started the last PETG job, the extruder started making horrible noises and wasn’t extruding filament. Here’s a link to a video with audio of simply running a load operation without feeding filament in, the same type of noise it was making when I discovered the issue.

The left (PLA+) extruder is operating normally. Is there anything that I can do to remedy this other than have Snapmaker service/replace it?

Did you try swapping the two hotends? Just to isolate the problem with the extruder. If it stays to the right, something else is not working properly.

Did you heat both nozzles properly? PETG requires higher temperatures.
Noise can also come from a clogged hotend.

There was no filament in the extruder when I shot the video and there are no mechanics in the hot end. I’m not saying that the hot end isn’t clogged, but the problem is obviously deeper than that. When I get a pause in my current projects, I’ll disassemble the DEM and see if there’s anything obviously wrong.

I’m running 215°C in the extruder for the PETG I’m using (old M3D “ABSR” I had lying around) because it provides the best results with the least stringing. I’ve printed a lot of things before this with those settings and no clogging, even when I overdid the retraction to the point where the controller warned me whenever I started a print. I’m using 2mm retraction (the maximum to avoid warnings) now.

Try my suggestion and swap them for your test.

OK, this makes no sense. When I swap them, the right nozzle heater won’t work (with the formerly left hot end). I’ve tried seating and reseating that hot end a multitude of times with the same result. If I swap them back, both heaters work.

Well, there’s the problem with the filament feed. Broken wire on the stepper motor. I looked up the part number for the motor and it’s apparently a custom configuration. I’ll contact Snapmaker support. It still probably doesn’t explain the hot end heater weirdness.

I have to pay for the part ($27 total, $14 of that being shipping cost from China), but they’re sending me a new motor. Before I install it, I plan to use some silicone sealant as a strain relief on both motors to keep it from happening again.