Print Bed issue

OK - so I started a print job, and left it running. While it was running, I may have had the Z axis issue mentioned elsewhere, as it appears to have stopped increasing in height, and was simply melting the existing layer), but it kept trying to print. Once it hit the side and dug in, this vibrated the print bed until 3 of the screws backed out. Then the print bed rotated and sheared off the RJ45 port and resistor. (see pics)

Printed from MicroSD, sliced with Snapmaker3D, version 1.6.2. Gcode available if you want it - but it’s 11.2MB.

How do we prevent this? and how can I get a new print bed?

David

Update - I was getting ready to switch back to laser, and I noticed I didn’t hear my fan noise from the controller anymore after it had been shut off for a few hours. I checked, and the fan is not running. There is a red light on the controller. I mechanically rotated the fan, and I got it to spin up briefly - but the controller does not appear to be functioning properly - It stopped heating the nozzle at 80 degrees when trying to change the filament to swap to laser for more testing. I cut the filament off - to fix later, and installed the laser module. I can get the controller to come online, and the fan rotating, but the controller doesn’t detect that it is in laser mode. It still thinks that is has the 3d print head attached. It’s basically dead.

Idea about preventing the damage from a spin and to assist with alignment of the bed(s) - add 4 pins to the bottom of the bed to align with 4 other mounting holes other than the screws.

David

Hi @harmerds,

Thank you for the feedback and apologies for the inconvenience. You mentioned 3 main problems and let’s troubleshoot them one by one:

1. Failed print and damaged heated bed. We need to be sure that if it is the problem of the controller that leads to the loosen heated bed or the other way around. Please power off the printer → connect the 3D Printing Module back to the controller → power on the printer → then use the touch screen (Jog Mode → Move 10 mm) to move the Z axis. Can the Z axis moves properly?
  2. The nozzle can only be heated to 80 degrees. Use the Change Filament feature on the touch screen to heat the nozzle again. Can it be heated to 200 degrees? If it can’t, do you notice other problems on the touch screen? A video of the process will help us figure out the problem.
  3. The controller cannot detect the laser module. When you change the 3D Printing Module to the laser module, connect your computer to the printer and check if Snapmakerjs can detect the module. That is, please check if you can see the following section in the left-down corner in Snapmakerjs.

Look forward to your reply. Thank you!

Best regards,
Rainie

1. on start up (before the controller got warm) the Z axis moved OK. With the cooling fan not working, though, it overheats and stops moving.
  2. I was using change filament when it stopped at 80 degrees. This time it stopped at 79 degrees.
  3. Nope - it doesn’t detect the laser - no focus button.
  4. I was connected via serial, and after about 3 minutes (when trying to change the filament) the serial disconnects. This was about the same time as the heating stopped. It looks like the controller starts freaking out when it gets hot.

David

@Rainie - following up - what do we need to do to de-brick my snapmaker? It is completely non-functional right now.

Hi @harmerds,

Please provide the following information. With this info, we can identify the problem and send you a new controller and heated bed.

1. Have you unplugged or plugged in a cable when the printer is on?
  2. Connect the 3D Printing Module back to the controller and power on the machine. What is the temperature of the nozzle shown on the touch screen? Is it the temperature in the room?

Best regards,
Rainie

1. It has always been shut down when plugging or unplugging.
  2. Yes, it is showing room temperature (23C)

Please let me know if you need me to do any more tests.

David

Hi @harmerds,

This problem is a bit complicated. We would like to have a videocall with you. The engineer will help us identify the problem.
When it’s the best time for you?

Look forward to your reply! Thank you!

Best regards,
Rainie

I can do this morning 7:30-10:30 EST.

David

ok - looks like we’re missing this window. Please let me know some window options and I will fit something into my schedule. the Snapmaker is at my home, so I have to coordinate timing accordingly.

David Harmer
harmerds@att.net
1-404-245-7638

Hey David just curious if you have gotten a answer back in private about this. Been following your post. Read your suggestion to provide a fix to keep bed from coming off again and few questions for you. Had you already noticed the screws backing out or just after your bed sheared off? I’m supposed to be receiving my unit soon and curious if you felt a small amount of lock-tite would help keep this from happening as well. I know it wouldn’t have stopped the beginning cause of your problem and which I hope they provide a solution to get you back on track soon.

Yes, I did a conference call with the Snapmaker team last night.

I did not notice the screws backing out, just after the bed sheared off.

I would be concerned about loc-tite, as you need to change plates for the different modules. If you do use loc-tite, make sure it is blue and not red.

I switched back and forth between laser and 3d printing a bunch.

David

I noticed a few days ago my print bed has a wobble in it. my first thought was the attache screw were loose. but upon inspection they were all tight. I can see and physical watch the bed wobble during print. is there any way to open up the screw assembly and tighten up the bracket the print bed is connected to?
Thank you
Andy

Hi @awoolsey,

That is because some screws in the linear module are loosened. We will take a video of how to repair this and send it to you. Please send me your email address. I will send the video to you as soon as it is done.

Best regards,
Rainie

2 Likes

Awoolsey1979@gmail.com

Thank you.

I too am having the exact same issue- is there a place I can view the video or get help with this issue.

Thanks.

Joshua Machnik