New filament wont load and creates clicking noise

Tell us the filament you are using and all of your settings.

Doug

Hi Dough. Thank you for your fast response. I added the answers to my original post.
Merry XMas,
Mike

1 Like

Have you realised that Snapmaker3D is is now redundant. If you are using the latest firmware, try using the latest SnapmakerJS or Cura or Simplify3D as the slicer

Doug

I also had clicking noises and no filament coming out during print. The filament was only coming out when I pushed it manually trough the preheated nozzle (“filament replacement cycle”). My stepper motor wasn’t driving the filament into the nozzle anymore. I had this behaviour after my first print of only 4 hours.
After dismantling the printhead and taking a closer look the gear that was supposed driving the filament, I saw that it was just loose and even fell out. I suppose somebody didn’t put the allen screws in the correct position (key groove) , and they slipped after a few hours of printing.
Apparently the gear wasn’t properly fixed onto the stepper motor shaft. I first thought my motor or driving electronics was broken. It was as simple as making making sure the 2 allen bolts where firmly fixed onto the motor shaft, and that 1 of the allen screws was in the key groove of the motor shaft.
To get to the allen bolts I had to dismantle right end with the fan, and the heat sink. Watch out for the bolt heads. They tend to wear out pretty easy.

1 Like

I had a similar problem; the filament just would not load and kept coming out “bent”. I followed a suggestion to (turn off the power) and open the unit. I found that a little piece of the previously used filament was stuck in the nozzle. The new filament did not push the piece that was stuck and was instead diverted sideways. As soon as I had removed this piece, then it all worked well - mind you I kept the cover off to ensure the filament entered the nozzle. I realised, when looking at the internals, that the button does not need to be pressed super hard - all it does is create a little bit of space to the let the filament enter the feeding mechanism.

I suspect that I should have heated the nozzle up prior to, pressing the button and removing the old filament. Possibly this is stated in the user manual, but I have not seen it.

Thrym

1 Like