My new Snapmaker 2.0 A351 😁

Is continued in this topic

What purpose does the y rails and the second touchscreen have?

The rails give the table much more stability and much better flatness. Thev screen is where I control octoprint and my SM2 its called octodash and with it I dont need a computer to manage the printer.

1 Like

Based on that great idea I am trying to replicate the linear rail setup.

I ordered these linear rails that fit perfectly lengthwise in the enclosure:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M8T1NG1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. (800mm length).

The height between the bottom of the rail and the Snapmaker base is 3/4"+3/16" (I used some magnetic shims - still figuring out how to install this more permanently) and due to some clearance issue on the Snapmaker bed used a small washer to fill the gap between the outer most screw hole in the linear rail slide.

The holes on the linear rail are tapped M5-0.8. I used long M4 screws to “catch” the hole. Seems to work no problem

Still need to figure out how to attach the linear rail. Maybe some angle brackets side ways on the front and back 80-20 enclosure frame and supports along the rail

@stefix Vielen Dank fĂŒr die geniale Idee

I vote this the best upgrade idea 2021!

9 Likes

Hi,

Can you please share the stl’s for all your modifications

Is continued in this topic there you can find the Fusion360 drawing with all updates.

@Slartibartfass
Danke fĂŒr die Blumen und viel Erfolg.
Thanks for the flowers and much success.

Could you please explain what you’re trying to achieve with this modification? Why do you need all this support on already very sturdy frame?

Simply answer: It is not sturdy for me, and as you can read here many people think so.
And is there something aginst to make it more sturdy? Also it is a lot of fun to make things better.

2 Likes

Tbh i don’t see where people are saying that frame is not sturdy enough. I can imagine it can be the case for cnc where you apply more physical force, but looks like you’re mostly focused on the 3d printing use case here.

Nothing against the upgrade as your personal project, you free to spend your time and money as you want
 but as for practicality i don’t see what exact problem all this frame support solves. Maybe you have some print examples before and after the modification that would demonstrate the improvements?

Snapmaker upgrades is kind of a hobby on this server.

For starters, the table is not exactly rigid, it has lots of play up and down from the linear modules, and as the linear modules have a tendency to vibrate at certain speeds, they are noisy and this is also going to have a visible effect on your print.

These rails are his personal way to solve that issue, there are other people who have done similar mods which is where the inspiration came from. Each of the mods he did was based on other people working to improve their machine.

1 Like

I’m also planning to make a linear support for my bed. It will help with cnc as well as the laser.
(because I’m one of the people that think the frame isn’t sturdy enough.)

2 Likes

@pkpk If you have no problems with you SM you are a lucky guy. And if you dont like my mods, it is okay, just ignore my posts. Furthermore I have no ambitions to prove anything I did with my machine. Sorry for that.

3 Likes

Haven’t looked very hard. Lot’s of people have had problems with play and deflection in the bed. It varies from machine to machine. Some of it has been from play in the linear modules that can be adjusted, but some of it is just the design. The bed bracket is a really small area that is held tight by four very small bearings holding a large cantilevered and heavy surface. Having additional support for the bed besides decreasing deflection will also decrease the wear and adjustment needed to the bearings.
It’s definitely more necessary for cnc and will allow one to run faster and cut deeper. For anyone planning on upgrading the cnc to a more powerful unit it becomes a necessity. For 3d printing a more stable bed will also increase the quality of printing and lessen artifacts like ringing and ghosting. The effect may be slight and may not matter to you or most people. For me I don’t really care about the printing aspect. I only print stuff for function and not doing display stuff for looks.

-S

3 Likes

The original bed frame where the heated bed is mounted is replaced with a alu plate right and on top the head unit and the glas? Any problems with the hight?
Maybe im going to upgrade this on mine too bc my bed is really bad and almost no first layer sticks right Still struggling with bed adhesion

How much does your new carrier weigh?
I’m designing a substitute for mine right now and was shocked, by the 1,5kg it would have at 6mm even with a few cutouts :innocent:

If you’ve seen the new video for using the rotary module that just came out and you’ve ordered the rotary module, you might want to seriously consider the linear support upgrade. Especially if you’re doing cnc. Maybe I missed it but I thought in all the early stuff I saw the rotary module was mounted in line with the x-axis. Now it’s showing it lined up on the y-axis and the whole bed moves the rotary module while the x-axis remains stationary.
The rotary module can’t be light, and most of the weight is going to be on one end. If you have any play in your bed it’s going to tilt like the Titanic.
-S

Went back and looked at older emails. In some with cnc it looks like it’s oriented the other way and the x-axis is moving and the y stationary. Maybe it does both with cnc while only moving y with laser.

-S

Hello together i have bad and sad news and for all who wondered why stefix is not answering. I messaged him private bc of a specific question about his mods and yesterday i got an answer but not from him but from his wife saying he passed away a few days ago and said i should tell it the community so everyone knows why hes not gonna anwser.

So sorry to hear that. Definitely a loss for the SM community.
Thoughts and prayers go out to his family!
-S

3 Likes