Luban does not read dxf files correctly. Advice needed

Okay, just checked. 3.12.3 was the one that didn’t square some puzzle pieces I was trying to cut.
-S

I’ve never exported an svg from fusion so not sure what (if any) settings there are for exporting.
Import lots of svg’s.

-S

ok…so it looks like Luban won’t work (at least for now) for this particular application.

What a bizarre bug :confused:

Share your svg…

-S

Body1

Here you go.

Body1

Did that upload? I don’t see it here

I see it, it’s 3px x 3px, even though its intrinsic size is 132x132…?

Its native size (according to Luban latest version) is like 4.5mm. I think the issue you’re running into is the native size is so small, even when scaling it larger it’s being sampled as if it’s only 3mm.

If there’s no way to export it so that the ‘native’ size is larger, I think the only option would be to resave it using Inkscape so that it’s the correct size before importing into Luban.

I will note that it imported correctly into Lightburn:

Okay, if I import it as is it changes the circle to an octagon. (in either version of Luban)
Same if I import to inkscape and then export as an svg.
But if I import to Affinity Designer and then export as an svg it shows up fine.
Body1aff

Svg’s can be very temperamental. I’ve had problems with them in good programs, let alone Luban.
You could also try saving it as a png and then using vector.

-S

I know that adobe illustrator can import/export DXF (with mixed success for some things without an extra addon), inkscape might too

perhaps if you used inkscape to translate from dxf to svg your problems will go away.

i should warn you, playing with inkscape unlocks your imagination and you might find yourself buying the adobe suite like me :joy:

edit: aww bollocks, everyone already said this one. dangit

We are kind of getting off course here. lol

Maybe I should explain why I am using Fusion for this particular item. I restore vintage motors as a hobby. Outboards, cars, etc, A lot of these motors are so old they don’t make gaskets for them any more. I can hand cut them out but a lot of them are small, or thin, or delicate so hand cutting them are hard to do.

One easy way to make the gaskets is to take a picture of the part. Fusion has a feature that allows you to import that picture and can “calibrate” (re-size) the image so it is the correct size (very important). Then, you can trace that part surface to re-create the gasket. Then export it as a dxf and laser cut or cnc cut it out. Fusion is the only free to use software (that I know of) that can size the image correctly. It’s a great feature that makes replicating these gaskets pretty easy.

So, using Inscape, Lightburn, Gimp, illustrator, etc etc are costly or can’t size the image properly. At least I am not aware of that feature.

Besides, going from one program, to another program, to a third program etc seems very counter productive. (just my opinion)

If I could get Fusion to post process the file and send it to the printer(or at least a thumb drive), I could do it all in one program. No exporting, then importing, then repeat! If only I was smart enough to do all that!

I mean, if you want to try getting Fusion to generate a toolpath I bet it would work. Although since it’s not particularly gear for lasering I think using Luban would be better, provided it can be made to work.

Yup, I;m researching the fusion option. So far, Luban is not working for this application.

It’s nice when things work well but unfortunately you may find yourself not having the luxury of it going smoothe. I hope you do though good luck. PS inkscape is free

Take care and let us know if you get it!

Yes, Inkscape is free. I have and use that. But remember, it does not scale the image to the correct size like Fusion does. Very important feature for this application.

Yea, but you can export from fusion and then use Inkscape to fix the file by resaving. Several people have had SVGs they had to do that with, something about Luban and Inkscape get along pretty well, even Illustrator sometimes doesn’t import correct into Luban.

I know that’s exactly what you’re trying to avoid though so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here is a video of exactly what I want to do. The only difference is this guy is cutting on a cnc. I’d like to use the laser.I just have to figure out how to setup the tool path for laser cutting instead of cnc.

1 Like

Your right brent. Importing into Inkscape then saving as svg works.

That’s strange cuz inkscape didn’t work for me and usually does.
Or is that for converting from dxf to svg? I was trying to reexport svg as simple svg.

Like I said svg’s can be problematic. But there isn’t really another standard that does the same thing with as much compatibility, even though it’s compatibility leaves something to be desired.
Usually though there’s a workflow that works but sometimes it means using two programs where you would think you’d be able to use one.
-S