Luban CNC how to make a singel hole with the diameter of the drill

Hi everybody,

Maybe I’m missing something, but I can’t make a simple hole in Luban. I want to make a stacked model and to align all the pieces I need to make a hole in each “slice”. I have not been able to do this as Luban follows the path (on the path or the outline). Any suggestion how I can make a simple hole with the diameter of the drill.

Thanks in adavance for the Help

Luban doesn’t really let you edit anything. As far as I know, the most you can do is set colors if you have a dual extruder, and tell it where to not print supports if supports are enabled.

You need an editor, of which there are many. I’m a noob, and use tinkercad.com. It’s simple, has predefined shapes, and the shapes can be positive or negative.

Assuming your model is shaped correctly, you can load it up and create a cylinder. Adjust the cylinder to the size of the hole you want, make it a negative shape, and position it where you want the hole. Select all the objects, and join the shapes together into a single model. Export your model, and arrange it in Luban. Other editors are left as an exercise for the reader :wink:

I am not using Luban much for CNC milling - my go-to Tool is Fusion 360 for generating milling toolpathes. But even in Fusion 360 drilling a hole needs attention: A milling bit cannot be used to drill a hole of the tool diameter. A milling bit needs a sideways motion to chip away material, and if the hole is just the tool diameter, there is no room for sideways motion. So either in Fusion you need to specifiy explicitly a drill as tool, or use a milling bit of smaller diameter which then can spiral down.

I assume that Luban has the same restriction.

…some additional thought: Did you consider laser cutting your object? Depending on the material you aim for, laser might be more efficient here.

Thanks for the answer Hauke, you have given me an idea, I will make a small circle so that the drill can use it as a path. The hole will be a bit bigger than the drill, but that’s ok.

Yes I considered the laser, the reason I don’t want to you it has nothing to do with the material or the machine. It’s just that I have some guests and they sleep in the same room as the Snapmaker. I don’t want to poison them with bad smoke :wink: And I have to finish my object by the end of the week because it’s a gift. So it’s all about timing.

Bear in mind that luban does not have the option to cut inside a profile: only on the line/profile or outside it . The motion will always cut a hole greater then the circle.