Luban 4.9.0 Laser no longer works

I updated to Luban 4.9.0
If I now design a laser job with Luban, the laser no longer works. The power is always at 0%
If I manually set the desired power on the controller, then it remains at this setting, so all travel moves are also lasered.

1 Like

They introduced inline with the latest Luban release, however, thereā€™s a bug in the firmware dating back to 1.14. I detailed it a bit here;

Solution currently is to either fix the gcode by hand, or downgrade back to Luban 4.8 until itā€™s fixed.

Try updating the firmware

i updatet the firmware on my Artisan today, but nothing changed.
Laser does not power on.

1 Like

Too bad, please fill out the - Support Ticket Form

I had a few issues when updating the 4.9.0 until I updated the firmware as well to 1.17.17 now most are fixed except for dot fill which the laser will not turn on. the laser power is reported to be correct. I have sent a message to support for help. I have not tried and images as yet, just text.

I made another attempt with Lighburn yesterday. I added a new GRBL device and drew a simple square to be cut out. I selected fixed power mode and sent the gcode to the artisan. Unlike luban, it worked with lighburn.

After that I added a picture to lightburn and this time turned fixed power mode off. This also works. It drives with the same speed and regulates the laser power. Great!

That means for me, since the latest firmware update I can use GRBL via Lightburn and the error that the laser does not turn on is definitely due to Luban.

1 Like

Thanks for that test, it means the luban team got something wrong in the generation of gcode. Likely placed the power controls on the wrong lines.

Another strange behavior with Luban 4.9.0. Try cutting two simple shapes, a square and a circle. The circle will cut (laser turns on) but the square will not. The Artisan control unit says the laser should be on 100% but it doesnā€™t come on for the square or any shape thatā€™s made of straight lines. Add a curve to it and it works.

Also noticed that it ignores jog speed. All head movements are at the slow cutting speed.

@Fishstyx @Savoie Please update your Artisan to the latest firmware that fixes this issue v2.5.17_20230925, which was released a few hours ago.

1 Like

Hi all, thank you for pointing out the problems. Please check out the update on Luban V4.9.0 issues here:

If you still have questions and unsloved problems, please submit a ticket to our support team. Then you can also discuss that on the topic above.

1 Like

I have a Smapmaker 2.0 350 running 4.9.0 and the firmware is 1.17.17 both were updated last week.
As far I have found so far there are 3 issues with using the 10W laser.

1. After doing the auto focus the head moves very slowly to the start point.
  2. When using dot fill the laser will not turn on. the laser power is reported to be 0% but trying to change it does nothing. It will do on the path correctly.
  3. With the rotary head yo canā€™t do ā€œrun the boarderā€ it will move in X but there is no rotation of the work piece.

There was another issue I noticed sometime ago was if the laser was left on in the workspace for aligning the job and then disconnecting the WiFi the laser would turn full on burning the job. I have not tested this for some time but thought I would just comment on it. I canā€™t remember what version that was.

Mind posting your findings are the below link to make it easier for the Snapmaker Team to assist and track? There are solutions & workarounds available there too:

1 Like

I also have a Smapmaker 2.0 350 running 4.9.0 and the firmware is 1.17.17. The 10W laser is not working properly. When I try calibrating the laser, it does turn on, but is very weak. Please FIX!!!