Luban 4.8.1 3mf files for j1 will not align

I think I found a bug in Luban 4.8.1. I have 2 models for printing an electronics case panel with inlayed lettering for the J1 IDEX extruder. Black Panel and White lettering. If I import the 2 model files using STL file format they can both be selected and aligned. I can print the items no problem on the J1. I exported the files from Fusion-360. If I export the files again from Fusion-360 using 3MF format and import them into Luban the Align button is greyed out and I cannot align the 2 models to allow printing. The files are not aligned automatically and cannot be printed.

Hi, could you share the models that you encountered this problem? Would like to take a try.

@enlightenonq When importing multiple objects at once, the auto align/move to center of buildplate function messes up the alignment. But if you import the 3mf files one by one, they should align properly. Did you try that?

1 Like

Here are both setā€™s of files. Had to zip it up because the forum will not allow .3mf uploads.

CCPL-TIMER_MAINCASE-BACK.zip (189.5 KB)

1 Like

Rwideā€¦ I attached the files for Jade to review. Depends. I upload the main panel object then I upload the text to overlay (which is actually 12 objects in a group). Luban loads them fine and aligns them with themselves but when it places it it puts the letters on the plate directly instead of elevated on the top surface of the main panelā€¦

Iā€™ll give it a couple more tries later tonight when I get home.

Yes the xy position is not correct either. It would be nice if it was possible to align groups, but you can use the align function if you ungroup the objects first.
Snapmaker_Luban_X9StfPZ0WY
@Jade Perhaps not use the auto align function when importing .3mf files, or enable the alignment function for groups?

2 Likes

Whatā€™s interesting is the STL is not a group but one bodyā€¦ No ungrouping necessary.
They only reason I was trying the 3mf was because I think the free version of Fusion 360 has a limit of how quickly you can send STL file generation before it throws up a warning that it could not produce the stl file. Itā€™s happened to me 2x now when Iā€™m quickly editing a file trying to figure out how to make it work and adjusting the location of the text and panel itemsā€¦

Thanks for the vid. iā€™ll try it tonight when I get home.

Are you using the ā€œnormalā€ export function in Fusion 360? Itā€™s very slow. Better to use the make 3d print function wich is fast and allows for custom resolution of the generated 3dmodels. If you want to export multiple objects as one file, you can create a folder before exportingā€¦

nopeā€¦ Yup, Yup, and Yupā€¦ Did create a body group folder to put all the letters in. Makes it faster to select allā€¦ I do use the 3d Print Function and use High Refinement to smooth out the STLā€™s line/arcā€™s. I also have it setup to automatically transfer it to my 3d Slicer Program (Simplify3d) but for IDEX Iā€™m currently using Luban until I get Simplify3d all geeked out. Then Iā€™ll transfer it to Octoprint and use the Arc Welder G2/G3 Plugin/converter to remove the straight line arcā€™s and convert into real Arcs. (I wish Luban and other Slicers would convert STL Line/Arcā€™s into real G-Code Arcsā€¦) Much faster when a single line of G-Code replaces 30-40 lines of straight lines. Much smoother surfacesā€¦

I just got a chance to load up the 3mf files they way you did and it worked and aligned once I un-grouped but then noticed another issue.

When I slice the prime tower shows the main body priming and the letters donā€™t prime at the start so the first layer on the prime tower when the letters are started is un-supported (See screen shot). So I can see the white just drooping down into the abyss and not really priming but rather droolingā€¦ It does this with both Model types so this is a slicer issue.
Donā€™t know if there is a setting to run prime tower when there is nothing to print but to create support. Or does it really matter?

Thanks for the replyā€™sā€¦ Iā€™m having great success with my J1, Snappy-1 and A350.

Here is a picture of the printed items. I align them and then flip it over so it prints on the rough surface of the table to give the face a rougher look that hides the lies really well. Gives it a textured surfaceā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

Nice! Regarding the oozing of material in the prime tower, i think itā€™s intended functionality to save time and material. Cura does the sameā€¦

I have a SM-2 with a dual extruder and use a little different process to move from Fusion 360 to Luban. I export all the bodies from Fusion as .obj into a folder. I then import all the .obj files into MS 3d builder as one step. This aligns all of them. I color the parts as wanted. I then export the entire model out of MS 3d builder as a .3mf file. I then drag this file into Luban and everything is aligned. I then select what models are to be printed by which extruder. The slice and export to the printer.

@ljlaursen Wouldnā€™t it be easier to just export all your bodies from fusion 360 into one single .3mf file? :upside_down_face:

I agree it would be easier to export all the bodies from Fusion as one .3mf; however, Fusion 360 only allows the ā€œSave as meshā€ for a single body. :unamused::disappointed:
I have also found I could use MS 3d builder to fix .3mf files that Luban doesnā€™t read because of the source.

@ljlaursen You can export multiple bodies as one .3mf file if you create a folder firstā€¦
Fusion360_pJlDFwqFeH

If you have trouble assigning different extruders to the objects, you might need to ungroup them first, then assign extruders and then align them againā€¦

Thanks for the help. I was able to follow your instructions and get one .3mf file