Laser is not cutting the sample gift box, only etching

I have the 1600mW laser module (A350). I am trying to cut the sample gift box on the 1.5mm (?) plywood sheet that came with the unit. I followed the directions in the Quick Start Guide. It says to use the defaults from the file. But it doesn’t appear that I am getting anything close to a cut. It’s a pretty good engraving, but it doesn’t cut through. Any advice for this newbie? What do I adjust? Laser is at 100%, work speed is at 140mm. 2 passes with a .6mm pass depth.

I was not able to cut plywood also. Yesterday I did. More passes and repeat the job thrice was the solution.

First, be sure you have good focus: calibrate. It should be around 21 mm (20.8 in my case).
Annotate your work origin coords and try:
-work speed 120
-passes: 8
-depth: 0.2
If this doesn’t go through (look between the ply and the plate, you have to see the laser going through), just set the same work origin and repeat the job.

A trick: If you do not like to look at the laser with your googles, use your phone or ipad camera as a proxy. The camera looks at the laser and you look at the camera screen. I additionally use a ca. 1x1 m cardboard with a hole for the objective in front of the camera as a shield to eliminate any possible exposition to the light.

I tried a third pass at 120. I was watching under the material and it looked like the laser was getting through. I pulled the material off, afterwards, but no go. Closer, but not a cut. I’ll have to keep playing.

I tried to do the auto-focus, but it claimed the camera couldn’t determine which was the best line. So I had to pick it, “manually”. Luban is showing 21mm. I have the enclosure, so watching it isn’t an issue.

When it says it changes depth on each pass, is that a physical move of the head, or a refocus of the laser?

Beware your eyes. I remember someone explaining the enclosure is not really a good protection. Cannot be given its price. Laser shields are expensive.

When you say a third pass, what you do mean? 2+1=3 passes? Or did you repeated the job trice ? 2x3=6 passes.
In comparison my advice was 8x3 = 24 passes.
The point is in the middle, probably more close to 6 than 24 passes for the Snapmaker wood.

If, for example, your focus is 21 mm, your wood is 1.5 and your step is 0.4, then first pass is made with the head (z) at 22.5 mm. For the second pass the head goes down to 22.5-0.4=22.1 mm. And so on.

Luban shows my focus is at 21mm, but the laser head seems to be just barely touching the material. Should it be 21mm above the material? Do I have a calibration issue?

The focus is the measurement to the lens. There is a lens hood that’s for protection only and can either be extended or removed completely. With it screwed all the way in, generally it will be about 5mm above the workpiece. It varies from machine to machine. 21mm is on the low end but is within the variance of what people have found.
-S

1 Like

I am just starting with Snapmaker/Luban. I’m having the same issue. What was your final solution/setting? I’ve gone through most of the sample sheets trying to get it to work.

I had tried 4 passes at .6 with the other settings being the same as yours. The end of the lens was not 5mm above the workspace. That might be my issue. ? It was more like 21mm. I didn’t note it.