Just had a hot end fail-wondering if this is normal

So I noticed a print running without extruding more filament, and it looks like the hotend was clogged. I could get it to extrude again, but filament was curling up sideways, which must be what’s caused some of the blobs others have posted. No luck trying to clear it out with a needle either, so I just installed a spare, and everything seems to be working again. Does this look normal to you though:

This seemed strange. The white stringy fibers seem to build up while printing, but the markings on the white plastic around the brass nozzle make it look like it’s been burnt. You can clearly see that there’s some PLA stuck to the sides of the nozzle too:

I think this is normal-filament was getting stuck, so gear was just grinding it. I was able to get it cleaned out when I replaced the hotend:

This is the old hotend-it looks like one of the header pins came loose, but I’m not sure about the wire from pins 2 and 3-is that supposed to be loose?

What are people finding the typical life span of a hotend is? I bought 3 spares thinking they were wear parts, but I didn’t expect to be replacing one this soon.

nozzles clog up esp with poor quality filament, if you are using snapmaker brand throw it awy

with that said sometimes nozzles last longer than others. you can just rplace the brass nozzle wihtout doing the hwole hotend if u buy mk8 nozzle on amazon

That wire from pins 2 and 3 is the thermistor that reads the temperature of the hot end. There is a hole below the other wires in the hot end that it goes. You can do a quick search in the forums about the thermistor falling out and you might want to consider some non-conductive thermal paste to keep it in place.

Thanks-you mean something like these: https://www.amazon.ca/LUTER-Extruder-Stainless-Cleaning-Makerbot/dp/B07MNYZ2KK/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=mk8+nozzle&qid=1616334993&sr=8-6 ? Much cheaper than replacing the whole hotend. The replacement part isn’t that expensive, but $24 shipping definitely makes me think twice about it. If I can replace just the $0.65 nozzle though, even better.

I’ve probably only printed 3-4 spools of filament so far. The whole roll of the snapmaker filament, and then the rest has been mostly Eryone filament I got from amazon (I think I’m up to 8 different spools on the go in different colours now).

Took apart the old hotend and it looks like a break (it’s flat at the top because I tried pulling it out with pliers already). Not sure if the black marks on the nozzle end are plastic, or just discoloration from heating/cooling. Might try taking a torch to it and seeing if I can clean it out, but if it’s really that cheap to replace, then it’s not really worth it.

yeah just swap the nozzle out. the hotend will eventually die, but then thats when you replace it.

Recently had a similar major fail of my Snapmaker 2.0 A350 extruder hot-end. I have ordered a new hot end. I’m hoping for the best with regard to the print module.