J1 keeps freezing/rebooting mid-print

I just got my J1 and putting it through its paces. The initial calibration and test print completed with no issues. I then updated the FW.

Then I decided to try out PVA support using one of my existing designs. I slice it using latest Cura, set the right extruder as generic PVA and the left using the Snapmaker PLA-White. The load/unload on both extruders completes with no issues.

Try #1: Few layers in, the right extruder (PVA) stops extruding.

Try #2: Few layers in, same problem. I fed a cleaning filament through just in case bits of previous PLA got stuck in the nozzle.

Try #3: 1/4 in, the screen and interior lights went blank. No response from touch control. Extruder fans still on though. I had to power-cycle then resume.

Try #4: A few more layers the the system reboots then prompts me to resume

Try #5: A few more layers and the screen went blank. Power-cycle again to resume.

Try #5: Black screen almost immediately again.

I tried printing the built-in shark model using the included PLA filaments. The machine also went dark after a few layers in.

Since the machine barfed even with the built-in model, that points to perhaps the PSU or a control board. Still waiting for support to get back to me but throwing this out here to see if people have any ideas.

The problem with feeding the filament is well known. There seems to be a temperature problem in the print heads. It looks like the cool filament is too long and the hot filament in the heating block is too short. Some users have already tinkered with this problem, you have to read the J1 reports.

Unfortunately, the support is very overloaded and it can take a week to get an answer.
Mine hasn’t been running for four weeks. Yesterday I got an answer about the software. Unfortunately only with a Windows programme, but I have a Mac.
Now I’m waiting for an answer again.

I just hope I don’t regret this purchase and have to go back to my trusty Dremel 3D45. Heck even my el-cheapo Flashforge Finder is more reliable than this.

The device simply came onto the market too early. If they had tested longer, it would have been better for the reputation!

I believe I’ve isolated the problem. The printer is connected to a Bluetti EB3A power station and it somehow doesn’t like the power provided by it. Plug the printer directly into a wall outlet and I’m now able to complete prints.

I haven’t hooked a scope up to the EB3A yet but others have complained about less-than-optimal output waveforms from it. However my Saturn 2 and 3D45 printers don’t have any trouble with it so this also points to the J1 PSU being particularly sensitive to AC power. In the meantime I’m getting another UPS which I hope the J1 will like.