Issues seen on Mac

Some of the issues that I have seen on my Mac with the Luban software.

Sometimes on launching the app only the control section is visible. The other sections like where the 3d print file is loaded and sliced is missing. Either restarting the app or forcing a window reload is needed.

The right click to delete or duplicate a model doesn’t always work.

The time to complete is blank.

The auto arrange feature has no gap between models.

I don’t know if any or all of these issues are present on other OSs I have only tried from my Mac.

Feature request, I have an original and a 250. It would be nice to be requested which saved settings I want loaded depending on the printer.

For example the build plate of the 250 is much larger then the original but Luban seems to start with size of the Original. For me to get the build size of the 250 I have to connect to the printer. If I just wanted to slice a design and generate the gcode that seems excessive. Especially if my 250 is already busy. Maybe there is a buried way to switch the default settings but a quick switch option would be nice.

Feature request, sending the Gcode file to the printer via WiFi is amazing. But let me rename the file. I’m less interested in the time stamp then maybe if I scaled up or down a design. Having multiple versions of a design that only differ in some random numbers at the end isn’t meaningful.

Over all impressions the 250 has some very nice improvements and at least from the 3d printing the Luban software has the core functionality. I haven’t tried the cnc or laser yet. Keep up the great work.

2 Likes

The A250 is clickable, to switch to another model.

Click on the G-code name, you can rename it.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback.

What does this mean?

I’ve experienced this before, but I didn’t find root cause yet.

Thank you for the quick response. For your information I was running version 3.2 I’ll let you know if I see the same issues in 3.3.

I did find the option to select a machine, in the settings window after posting. But did not know I could click on the 250 to quickly change.

Clicking on the name of the file not the little checkmark or X wasn’t obvious to me. I was looking for a rename button or save file as. But I like this now that I know of it.

The complete time was always empty and not updating. I’m not sure if it matters that I have the SnapMaker A250 connected via wifi.

1 Like

I am seeing issues with Luban on a Mac. It may be that the issues are caused by me being very new to the world of 3D printing, CNC and laser however the software does seem to be working against me. For example: The screenshot shows the workspace and its associated information.

In Luban the same screen is non functional (or I don’t know how to make it work) and it looks as if the workspace is absent. I was trying 3.5 and downloaded it and installed it again after deleting Luban and its associated files to ensure a clean install. The screenshot of the workspace follows:

The workspace does not show any more than I am seeing in this screen.

I dont seems to be able to do any work from the Luban software. I downloaded a copy of JS and that is working within my limited understanding. Is there a definitive guide I can download and study for laser work? In my experience an online reference is not as easy to follow as a book or printed matter.

Another issue I have is that alphabet letters saved as an .svg file will not work with the laser. It generates the .nc file but that does not work. I could not even view those files with Camotics, which is an .nc file viewer. I tried turning the text into curves and the results are unhelpful. The laser printed but the curves are truly awful with many straight lines. Fonts that are converted curves ought to be easy to print because metrics and the font itself are not required for the pre-press print industry where the fonts are converted in this manner.

The jig shown in the next two images was a proof of concept to permit me to laser etch any of the faces of a cube and know that I would be starting in the right location without continuously measuring cubes of wood and trying to locate their faces for engraving.

The final image demonstrates why the conversion to curves is not effective. The design software can leave the typefaces as fonts but they wont convert to the .svg file format properly. Any help with any or all of the above issues would be most welcome. Thank you!

In Luban, go to the top-right corner to exit full screen. image

1 Like

FAQ for laser https://support.snapmaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041254874-Laser-Engraving-and-Cutting-
Video of how to use laser module. https://snapmaker.com/document/snapmaker2

2 Likes

Thanks Wayne. That helped. It is precisely things like that which are unknown to the new user and a technical users guide with worked examples would be very useful. Anyway, I am obliged to you for assisting me to open the software so that it may be used as intended.

Thanks again Wayne. I have printed printed the laser FAQ and that should help me get going. :smile:

3 Likes

Great. You’re welcome.

Sometimes on launching the app only the control section is visible. Exactly the same thing here! It’s ridiculous. This Mac-based application is so unreliable. So many errors and inconsistencies. Just horrible software concept, all 'round.

Worst of all is having to re-input all values EVERY time. Example, I want laser power and whiteness, etc. to be set the same each time… no way. How inconsiderate. Can’t brag about all the millions you guys got on Kickstarter and then give us poor fools this unreliable junk software. Just sick and tired of it.

The same old irrelevant Laser-Engraving “help” file… guys, you really, really need to get someone who understands instruction and manual production to do this. Your support literature is just plain bad. Again and again, critical steps are overlooked – probably because, the the engineers, it’s already fixed in their brains: things like laser offset (never explained well, if at all), setting the work origin (inconsistent, depending on what you’re trying to do) and on and on. Worst software I’ve seen since the days of the old Macs, or maybe the Amiga.

1 Like