Introducing the Hawke Snapmaker 2.0 Filament Perch!

Frustrated by the provided filament mount on the A350, I set out to design a new mount. Behold the Hawke Snapmaker 2.0 Filament Perch!

And there was much rejoicing. :smiley:

Seriously, though. The way that the A350 tangled filament by lowering and raising the print head was driving me crazy. I felt like I had to babysit every print and hand-wind the filament back onto the spool whenever the print head went ā€œhome.ā€

Instead, I used some leftover parts from a previous project and designed a filament mount that rides on the horizontal bar. I wanted it to sit close to the center of gravity of the bar to reduce the likelihood that it would effect printing, and I wanted it to be printable with defaults and without any supports or post-processing, though it does require some parts to be purchased.

And despite my faux fanfare, it works beautifullyā€¦ even better than I expected. It fits any size spool without futzing or ā€œinstallation.ā€ It feeds the filament smoothly. The filament itself turns the spool left and right as the head moves. No need for filament guides or spring-loaded filament mounts.

Simple and effective. My favorite kind of solution!

Adam

Hereā€™s the part at Thingiverse. Cat tax included.

6 Likes

Very interesting! Excellent documentation and very helpful.

In your video I donā€™t see an enclosure and I wonder if feeding filament from the centre of the top of the enclosure might also be a way of solving the issues you describe in your Thingiverse description.

@ahawkes
Props man, that looks great! Do you have any issues with the spool wondering (its a common problem with flat roller spool holders)? And I love the swivle design I would have never thought of that.

Truly great! Canā€™t wait to try it out. (Maybe with some mods so I have to buy less stuff because Iā€™m cheap)

The spool will wander, but it doesnā€™t matter. It just keeps happily dispensing away, even if it reaches one side or the other of the perch. If you start with the spool in the middle, however, itā€™s not likely to wander very far.

You could certainly start saving on parts by creating your own clevis pin using the printer. I considered that but didnā€™t want to delay release!

Other than that, I suppose you could print your own ā€œbearingsā€ by making wheels, but I was using existing parts and dod NOT want to introduce any more friction than I had to.

Let me know if you end up printing one. Iā€™d love to see it.

1 Like

I donā€™t have an enclosure for my A350. I didnā€™t buy one because I never even took my Snapmaker 1.0 enclosure out of its box. /shrug

If I end up getting an enclosure, Iā€™ll probably just make a new version of the perch by shifting it backward and down behind the horizontal bar. Unfortunately, there are limits to how far down I can shift it, but based on how high the original filament holder is, I bet itā€™ll work out.

Nice work! I can see many people wanting one of those.

Iā€™m glad to see that they fixed the Z axis weight issue with v2. v1 is very limited in the amount of weight the Z axis can carry.

Iā€™m not sure how much the 1.0 can carry, but I believed that the print head data cable would be in the way unless I find a longer replacement and reroute it. It is nice that the A250 and A350 have two vertical stepper motor columns. Makes them much more robust!

I wouldnā€™t print the bearings either, I have tried that in the past and it never turns out as well as I would like. But the pin and roller bars could be printed